where does

chesters1

where does these facts come from.

"Global warming" ? compared to the last ice age indeed we are warming up ,seeing as it was 10 thousand years ago how do we know it isnt cooler now than the period between the last ice ages :confused:

"ozone layer" seeing that the "hole" was only noticed recently (geologicly)how do we know it wasnt 10 times bigger in the past and now its small :confused:

"aging population" if the "age" increase is based on now and say victorian times is the child death rate taken into consideration ,in the bible it says "3 score years and 10" my mum died at 59 my dad at 69 none of them even reached the biblical criteria :confused:

"melting ice caps" seeing as ice displaces more water than water if all the "floating " ice melted the level would drop ,all the ice on land would cause a rise but the weight released from the land masses would cause it to rise allowing more room (seabed wise) for the water :confused:

"polution" seeing that a 100 years ago all fires ,power stations?? and other forms of energy provision (steam engines ,trains etc) were coal fired ,how is there more polution now than then (cars are more abundant but surly car = coal fire the car is cleaner)if there was a comparison how many cars would we have to own per household to equal the polution output of the coalfire in each household :confused:

and are volcanoes taken into concideration lots of volcanoes = lots of airborn polution

"more choice" surely we can choose only whats for sale ,can i get tesco crisps in sainsbury ? no ,not so much choice then :D

"inflation" if our council tax rises by 11% and rent rises by 14% ontop of the other "rises" why is the inflation rate quoted at less than 2% ,if i had a payrise of the rate of inflation i would be getting a pay cut in real terms (good luck to the firemen) shades of the seventies creeping in :( :mad: at least i would only be officially unemployed 3 days a week

[ 25. October 2002, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters - if floating ice melts, it makes no difference to sea level.

You can test this for yourself, by getting a tumbler, putting a chunk of ice in it, then filling it to the brim with water, so the ice is floating proud of the brim.

Do this in a warm room and as the ice melts, NO water will overflow (unless some prat jogs the glass :D )

Melting ice running into the sea off land will of course increase sea level.

The main fear of rising sea level due to global warming is the fact that the waters will expand as the temperature rises - not as much as mercury in a thermometer, but enough to get a few feet wet.

As regards pollution from cars as compared to coal fires and volcanoes, you have a good point, but we need to put figures to it.

There is also this thing about "the biggest flood for 500 years" OK, if global warming caused the latest flood - so what caused the flood in Good King Henry VIII 's time - no Volvos or Concords then - nor many coal fires either.

BTW I agree with you Henry VIII was a Great Briton - established a navy, kept us out of priestly clutches, and knew a thing or two about controlling wives :D:D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

ah but ice displaces more water than water if it didnt it would sink, compare the displacement before and after its melted

i said boudica ,but henry was "ok" he provided most of the building stone from waverly abbey in the area :D

also note how many "coastal" forts etc are now miles inland ,the city that cleopatra was taken to (once a coastal city) is now miles from the sea , england is tilting anyway (look at reculver) and the vanished medievel villages on the east coast you might get wet feet on the east coast but it would be be "back to normal" on the west :D maybe weve had an unaturally cool spell and now are heading for the "norm"

[ 25. October 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All religions talk of a 'golden age' when everything was at peace and people lived for hundreds of years. Ageing appears to have increased only since the 'flood' that all these religions mention. Could the 'deluge' have been radiation and not water?

One thing that nobody appears to want to answer. How much of all this carbon dioxide we here so much about is due to rusting iron amd steel?

Rusting is burning (oxidation) just like a coal fire is oxidation.

Back in the morning!

Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Never really been overly concerned about global changes until I saw todays 10 day forecast for my area

http://www.weather.co.uk/weather/local/UKXX0215

compared with

http://www.weather.co.uk/weather/local/UKXX0115

not very far away I wonder what is going on. 12ºC daytime -20ºC nightime is definetly not normal.

As no doubt it will have been changed (corrected or at least I hope it's not correct)by the time most get to read it this is the forecast for Brighton/Worthing

--------------------------------------------------

10 Day Forecast

Worthing, United Kingdom (BN11)

Last Updated Friday, 25 October 2002, at 17:57 British Summer Time (Friday, 16:57 GMT)

Max © Min ©

Tonight

25 Oct Showers / Wind 3°C

Sat

26 Oct Partly Cloudy 14°C 9°C

Sun Index: 2 Minimal

Sun

27 Oct Cloudy / Wind 13°C 4°C

Sun Index: 1 Minimal

Mon

28 Oct Partly Cloudy 13°C 4°C

Tue

29 Oct Light Rain 7°C -7°C

Wed

30 Oct Scattered Showers 8°C -7°C

Thu

31 Oct Partly Cloudy 8°C 1°C

Fri

1 Nov Cloudy 13°C 4°C

Sat

2 Nov Cloudy / Wind 13°C -13°C

Sun

3 Nov Partly Cloudy / Wind 12°C -20°C

-------------------------------------------------

and for Portsmouth,

10 Day Forecast

Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Last Updated Friday, 25 October 2002, at 17:45 British Summer Time (Friday, 16:45 GMT)

Max © Min ©

Tonight

25 Oct Showers / Wind 6°C

Sat

26 Oct Partly Cloudy 14°C 7°C

Sun

27 Oct PM Showers / Wind 14°C 6°C

Mon

28 Oct Partly Cloudy 12°C 4°C

Tue

29 Oct Light Rain 11°C 4°C

Wed

30 Oct Scattered Showers 11°C 4°C

Thu

31 Oct Mostly Cloudy 12°C 5°C

Fri

1 Nov Mostly Cloudy 13°C 6°C

Sat

2 Nov Mostly Cloudy 12°C 5°C

Sun

3 Nov Scattered Showers 12°C 5°C

did you take the "this is england" equation in mind ,i remember 1963 and 1976 (was it 1976 ,a bit warm) :)

chesters1 - while Global Warming might increase the "average" temperatures for the world, some places (and the UK certainly among them) would probably become a bit cooler - more in line with your real latitude than with the weather you have in recent centuries.

From Millennium Debate (and similiar predictions/information from other sources)

quote:

"The effect of warmer weather will be to melt the ice caps," said Professor Owens. "If you have more fresh water released by the ice it has the potential for pushing the Gulf Stream further south. If that happens you're pushing the warmth further south and bringing less heat to Western Europe. There is no reason why we shouldn't have icebergs breaking off and floating south. The impact on flora and fauna will be profound."

There is a second, potentially even more dramatic, threat to the Gulf Stream: global warming could simply "switch off" the current at source. The origins of the Gulf Stream are in the Greenland Sea, where water becomes dense and cold around the ice caps, squeezing the salt into the remaining water. This dense, cold water sinks to the bottom of the Greenland Sea and acts as a "pump", which helps push the ocean currents, including the Gulf Stream, around the globe.

But if the water fails to freeze, then the water will be too diluted to sink and the "pump" will slow down.

"If the ice formation doesn't happen then you won't get the convection," said Dr Peter Wadhams, a reader in polar studies at the Scott Polar Research Institute at Cambridge University. "The current slows down and while the water will get to us, it will be colder."

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

chesters1:

ah but ice displaces more water than water if it didnt it would sink, compare the displacement before and after its melted

Yes Chesters, but what you are overlooking is that as ice melts, its VOLUME SHRINKS, so the water produced by melting occupies the same volume as that displaced by the original chunk of ice. The extra volume occupied by the ice is the bit that is floating proud of the water - melt the ice, and that extra volume disappears.

Conversely, as water freezes to ice, its volume increases - that's why water pipes burst in a freeze-up.

[ 26. October 2002, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...