After a decent feeder rod and reel

itsmrb

Hi all

I've been doing a lot of feeder fishing this year and have been putting some nice weights together. The maggot feeder, with some sensas lake and special g groundbait, has been particularly good at producing a good mixed bag of fish. I've been making do with a 11ft leeda feeder rod and shimano hyperloop reel however its a pretty 'entry level' set up. I'd like to upgrade my gear to something a bit better however it should still be fairly 'budget' in price. Something under £40 for the rod and perhaps under £30 for the reel. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Normally fish a small 4 acre water at mid range. Main targets are silvers, tench and small carp to about 10lb max.

One rod I was looking at is the maver abyss 11ft. I also heard the drennan red series reels are pretty decent for the £20 price tag.

Www.dragoncarpdirect.com are doing maver rod and reel combo for 34.99 my mate just got one brilliant rod very light but excellent fun playing big carp and will be perfect for mixed silvers

tight lines

My daughter's boyfriend has the Abyss and loves it. I've had a couple of goes with it and it seems like a lot of rod for the money. However...

If I was in your shoes, I'd be spending the whole of the money on a second-hand rod (which may have retailed at twice that amount, or more), which would be a considerable step up from what you have now, and keep the Hyperloop reel (which isn't bad at all) for the time being.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I have a Shakespeare Omni 12 foot feeder rod, on which I have a Shakespeare Mach 1 reel, Loaded with 6lb Drennan feeder braid.

Rod - £25

Reel - £35

Braid - £6

It's a cracking setup for the money. I've had allsorts from little roach, to big rudd, to brown trout, commercial carp and wild tench and it's right on the ball. Both rod and reel look more expensive than they actually are and there are no zany decals anywhere to demonstrate what a cheapskate you are. It looks like a well thought-out and balanced outfit.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

itsmrb,

One of my "senior" bewilderments. You say, what you have - "[is] producing a good mixed bag of fish". Is there any functional reason for not using what you have?

Phone

itsmrb,

One of my "senior" bewilderments. You say, what you have - "[is] producing a good mixed bag of fish". Is there any functional reason for not using what you have?

Phone

I'm finding the tip sensitivity even on the lightest tip not that great and sometimes I'm missing bites. The rod cost £20 and the reel £15 so wasn't a big investment. I'm really enjoying this style of fishing so just looking to step up my gear to something a bit better quality that will last a few years longer.

Qd stores onlinr are still doing john wilson 11/13ft avon quivers deluxe for 39.99

Three push in glass quivers and an avon top make it a versitile rod.

For the money you wont get much better unless you go down the 2nd hand route.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I personally use the John Wilson avon quiver that RUDD just mentioned and have no problems whatsoever. It's so versatile with the three push in quivers for whatever rig you're using or fish you're targeting and can double up as a float rod if you need to change tactic on the day with no compromise to quality. With this I use a second hand Shimano Exage reel and the two go together so well. I can't comment on other rods/reels because I've only really used this set up for this style of fishing.

Started coarse fishing February last year, species so far:

Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench, Perch, Carp, Gudgeon, Eel, Crucian and a Goldfish.