Technology gone to far?

Peter Waller

Posted Image

In this shot, taken of Wordbender in his youth, during a Depression, a bloke is using nothing more than extreme basics to go fishing with.

Whilst his whole demeanour suggests a lack of hope and a lack of cash, it would be nice to relate that back then we fished with bamboo cane, a horse hair and a bent pin out of choice, and that the fishing has never been bettered!

As a kid my first real reel was an Intrepid Standard. How proud I was, until a mate came along with an Intrepid Deluxe! I actually wore it up.

Determined to relive my halcyon days as a ferral youngster I bought a Standard on e-bay. Only a few quid and near new condition. But do you know what, that reel went on my rod and came staright to hand, like a return of an old friend!! Ken Morritt had got it about right, everything was in the right place and the right size.

It all came back to me the other day when I decided to christen my brand new return to absolute basics, an Osprey Centre Pin on a 1950's whole cane butt and split cane top match rod.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself! All this state of the art stuff might catch more, but is it that much better? Perhaps we have now gone too far. Fish finders, bite indicators, bankside TVs, rods that weigh next to nothing, reels that are engineering marvels, rigs that are far from basic, fisheries that are far from naturel, all in all a perceived notion that we must have all the latest hi-teck whatever it might be.

It does us no harm to realise from where we have come, no harm in returning to basics, infact we all might enjoy it, if we try it!

Perhaps we could all benefit by looking in our tackle boxes at what we have, and just realizing how far tackle has come in 50 years, and wondering if we haven't gone to far.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point mate, i`m new to fishing but i dont think you can say that fishing has gone too far.

"""Quote""I thoroughly enjoyed myself! All this state of the art stuff might catch more, but is it that much better? Perhaps we have now gone too far. Fish finders, bite indicators, bankside TVs, rods that weigh next to nothing, reels that are engineering marvels, rigs that are far from basic, FISHERIES THAT ARE FAR FROM NATURAL, all in all a perceived notion that we must have all the latest hi-teck whatever it might be."""

It all depends on what makes u tick. As a nooby my sole mission at present is to catch a decent (not huge) fish, because all i have caught to date are tiddlers. I bigger catch that would give me enjoyment and pleasure, i dont care how i get it as long as i set up the rig, cast in and land the fish. I`m not bothered if i use a super state of the art rod, reel or bite alarm or anything from what you said above. I am so desperate to experience such a catch that i am happy to fish commercial fisheries to make that catch. So in my view tackle hasn`t come too far and never will...in my view the more i catch and the nicer fish the happier i am, and thats what its all about. The only thing i do agree is your bit that i have highlighted - fisheries that are far from naturel.

At present i would be happy to catch from those, but i must admit if i do get into fishing big style, then i wouldnt be happy constantly fishing unnatural commercials...that is the only thing in my view that has gone a bit far....BUT if that gives pleasure to someone else who fishes July-Aug once a week then so be it.....its not gone to far!

You may get your kick from fishing with your "Osprey Centre Pin on a 1950's whole cane butt and split cane top match rod" and hitting a nice fish! Thats great....as well.

At least now there is an option for everyone to help then catch.....and good luck to the producers i say, if they can help us catch let um`!

Very valid point tho, i think when we do use our alarms and new stuff we should occasionally remember how far it has progressed and what fishing use to be like.

Just debating your point....!!

Regards

Chris

[ 03. March 2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: craynerd ]

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Peter Waller:

... back then we fished with bamboo cane, a horse hair and a bent pin out of choice, and that the fishing has never been bettered!

As a kid my first real reel was an Intrepid Standard ....

Bish - if you can win matches with "tackle like that" just think what you could do with more up to date gear. :D

Peter - I'm perfectly happy with my good graphite or e-glass rods and modern reels. Fish finder suits me too. Reality is, I use the stuff that makes the fishing the most fun for me and lots of the modern stuff is FUN.

As to the picture - my take is that ole Wordbender is intent on his line and that's why he is bent over and looking down.

[ 03. March 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

And he's using the latest in wonder carp rods!

Don't get me wrong Newt, I'm game for anything new, and most of my gear is right up to-date. I agree entirely with you. But it surprised me just how much I enjoyed my trip down memory lane, it just made me stop, and wonder, for a short while anyway.