Hair Rigs

Quest

There can be no such thing as the best hooklink, it depends what you want it to do and what you want to catch and in what circumstances.

In other words , horses for courses.

Tell us a bit more.

Hmmm....I've always tended to find the hooks are more important than the material - but it might not be the case on all waters!

When I've had to make a hair rig on the bank when I've not had the right gear I've used normal mono, climax 10lb fluorocarbon (I keep a small spool in my box for fly leaders) or even dacron fly backing (bright green stuff), and they all have done as well as any other angler on the day....

If I am properly preapred though, Dyneema X-Tension braid - it seems reliable, strong and fairly consistent between waters.

Ian W

Ayjay is totally right about different hook length matiriels being designed (or should I say best used?) for different presentations.

Sounds as if its all a bit new to you Quest so I would also take note of what UK says as well! Start of with a simple hair set up,the knotless knot and a sinking braided hook length or indeed plain mono.Get confidence with this then try moving on to other materials rig set ups etc.If I was to list all the material/hook pattern/hair set up/rig combinations availabler it would just confuse you.As it does me and many others to!

I think to many people get to woried about different set ups and materials due to either hours of boredom sat in the bivvy,a lack of faith in any recognised set up due to not having caught lots of fish on it or simpley chasing the "holy grail" hoping to find that magical rig!

Try and work out the properties that each material has then see how these can best be used to achieve the afect you want.Dont go spending loads on different spools of gear as many are basicly the same but under a different brand name. Beg ,steal,borrow or just simply examine as many types as you can from your mates and other anglers.

Lastly remember that a lot of advertising blurb is designed to catch anglers not fish! also remember a lot of anglers believe this blurb and will happily quote it to you under the guise of personel experience or advice!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

nice one budgie. What it is that I have been tieing my own hairs for a year now. I have tried normal mono and the ghost flourocabon 15lb. It's just that the water I fish I find quite hard, so I have been questioning my set up. I use a basic bolt rig. with about 1mtr of lead core.

A slight diversion from the question - is there any good reason why the hook shouldn't also be baited? I did quite well the other day on a commercial lake with 20mm halibut pellet on the hair plus prawn on the hook.

But I'm not a carpist. Maybe this was a bad idea

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.