A tale of two evenings

RUDD

Not had a chance to get out on the bank since last Wednesday and Thursday but had another two cracking short evening session in the clear resi.

Had info that the Bream made a showing on Sunday to two anglers so set out my stall for Bream.

Wednesday fished with two specimen rods for Bream on two spots that normally produce the goods. Used groundbait method feeders (Map ones as I can mould groundbait on by hand) and either corn or 8mm mini boilies on the hair, did I see a Bream - yes - rolling out in the middle of the water but did not catch one, instead I caught seven Tench up to just over 6lb and a 5lb common carp all on my left hand rod, not even a twich on the right hand rod.

Thursday same two spots but switched the MAP flatbed methods for Prestons models as tonight I was targetting the Tench using 2.5mm soaked pellet on the feeders using mini tutti frutti boilles (well that was the plan), got there earlier than the night before and did not expect a bite for some time so used planned bait/method on left hand spot but on the right hand spot used double white chocolate 8mm boilies on the hair. Fired three pouches of 6mm hard pellet over the tops of both and sat back to relax. An absoulte screamer of a run put an end to the within five minutes resulting in a 12lb common carp on the right hand rod. Rebaited with a single tutti and recast to same spot.

Then recast both rods every 15 mins for next hour without so much of a twich.

A carp rolled over right hand rod and twenty or so seconds later away it went, I was suprised by the 4lb Tench I landed!

Next cast and again the right hand rod was twitching as soon as feeder hit the bottom.

The next hour and a half were mad and resulted in five Bream, the smallest went 8lb 6oz and the other fout were all doubles at 10.1 10.5 11.7 and the last and biggest at 12.2 - RESULT all on the

right hand rod - the left had a few twitches which I think may have been Roach.

Strange thing is that only one of the five was covered in spawning tubicles - the others did not have a sign.

When I put the last one back I sat and watched lines of bubbles moving away from the shallower water (and my spots) back out into deep water - there go the bream.

With a good hour of fishable light left I carried on what I had been doing and hardly had a chance to sit back - another three Tench fell to the right hand rod the biggest at 7.4 with the others going 5lb on the dot and 6.11

One thing to note is that a NE wind was pushing scum into the peg I fished both nights, all of my good sessions down there have been when the wind is in my face - no matter what the direction.

Theres only one species I know of now that I have not caught in there and thats the Roach - waiting for water to warm up a bit more and plan to fish waggler up in the water with maggots as I dont fancy one of the larger species on ultra light tackle I will be using.

If that fails it will have to be double speci rods with maggot feeders.

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Some more great sessions there Rudd, congrats especially on the bream! Maybe the ones without tubercles were all female?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well done Rudd, that's a fantastic catch of Bream. Your season just seems to be getting better and better. Sounds like you are having a very memorable year.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Thanks for replies - yes I am having a good year at that water but at another water (as Piperspruce can tell you) it has been rockhard!

I have put alot of thinking and effort into my sessions this year as they have been fewer than ever due to other commitments.

I am also reading Strategic Carp fishing BUT trying to apply what I am learning to other species.

Instead of just going fishing I am going with a plan and if it does not work I am trying to work out why, when float fishing I constanly alter shotting, depth etc until I get it right and have found when using two speci ledger set ups I can do even more fiddling and adjustments due to having two set ups fishing at once. Its amazing than a simple adjustment can alter a session.

I have found I am not just casting out sitting back and relaxing, I am constanly watching the water and rod tips for signs - even scanning the water with my binos. I am not thinking Oh that peg will do, I am getting there and looking at wind, weather, trying to work out where tow will go and looking for signs (bubbles, colour in the water, topping, rolling, waterfowl, other anglers).

TBH I am loving every session and always looking for an oppurtunity for the next one - gear is always ready to go just in case.

Then there are the nightingales who always give me a good song every session - one has started to try and mimick bite alarms!

RUDD

Alarms going off constantly is probably driving him crazy!

I am told they will sing until they find a mate and even harder if another male is present.

The Horse and its buddy the Sheep can be good company down there as well - dont leave anything within biting range or they will try and eat it - both friendly enough but the sheep will try and get through the gates on occasion to say hello!

RUDD