A mackerel saved the day

Snatcher

I was awoken at 04.30 by the theme tune to "Local Hero" blasting on my mobile phone. All boded well for this early morning bass session as I could not hear any wind at all outside the caravan and could not even here any sea movement.

I had packed the car up the night before and arrived at my fancied mark in no time at all.On the way I had to swerve around a large hare which was sat on the road watching the sun come up. I know some guys who would have put their foot down just to hit it!!!

Fish3-5.jpg

In the short space of time since getting up an easterly breeze had sprung up and was freshening all the time. My original and preferred plan was to use the popper but it was a bit too choppy by now so on went a 20g controller float fishing a small sandeel on a No 1 hook fishing behind it on an 8' trace.My mate had done well for the bass the previous week using them so I was feeling quite confident.

Fish2-4.jpg

I had been casting away for about an hour,varying the rate and style of retrieve all the time and had not had one touch. It was just about then that a cloud of midges appeared and guess what - where is your "Avon Skin so Soft" when you need it - back in the caravan!!! They were simply so irritating that I had decided to give it the "three more casts routine". Pleased I did because on the second cast a fish decided to take the sandeel. I thought it was a bass but once it was into the surf I could see it was a really big mackerel.Oh well at least I had something for breakfast. Time for a sharp exit as the midges were doing my head in by this time.

Fish1-4.jpg

Driving back to Drummore pulled into the layby at Terally as had noticed a few gannets diving in.Turned out it was an adult bird showing two younger birds how to fish - I should have asked him for a lesson.It really was facinating watching this and I must have been parked there a good half hour.

As far as the fishing had went it was pants but I really enjoyed those couple of hours out before breakfast. Its not always about catching fish,just being out there amongst nature gives me a buzz.

This is your roving MOG reporter signing off till next time.

Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

G'day mate, a good bloke I sort of know, makes fluffy things which have proved themselves catching mackerel, real macks, that is..... :P You should try them then you might get a mack that will feed the family for a week :lol:

008-1.jpg

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Sound advice from Bobj! LOL. Pity the Bass didn't show John, but at least you didn't draw a blank (like I would've). :fishing1:

Tight lines everyone!

Nice report Snatcher, and glad you at least earned your breakfast.

...and thats a nice Spaniard, BobJ If I hadn't had a similar one at Cape York I might have been jealous!

...but its a fact of life, they are always bigger in Yorkshire, Texas or Queensland :):):)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one Bobj. If your son needs any more lures making up just say the word. Its nice to be nice. Good to here from you as well Dave. Hope things are fine with you and Norma. Lets see what beasties you can catch on your Snatcher lures in sunnier climes :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

G'day mate, a good bloke I sort of know, makes fluffy things which have proved themselves catching mackerel, real macks, that is..... :P You should try them then you might get a mack that will feed the family for a week :lol:

008-1.jpg

Flippin heck I wouldnt want to catch a string of those on feathers!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Flippin heck I wouldnt want to catch a string of those on feathers!

Dan

Correct Dan,that was a "big" mackerel !!!!! :huh:

Dave /Norma have you just heard that "young" Snatcher has left the "rat race"???? its true :rolleyes:

Well Dave/Norma what are your 2009 plans??? Are you coming to the MOG??? More than happy to put the pair of you up in our humble abode.

The view over Luce Bay aint too bad!!

Sunrise as viewed fro inside our caravan

IMG_2601.jpg

Aint it the pits!!!

This is us having a few shandies on the caravan veranda

IMG_2558.jpg

Go on Norma,get him sorted out for a stay with us in 2009. Mind you Dave it will cost ypu a few pints of Bellhaven Best :rolleyes:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair