breeding maggots

coyle79

Maggots eat rotten meat

Rotten meats smells (no. it really smells)

How much agro are you prepared to put up with?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not bother breeding maggots though I did when there was a shortage . I do turn my own casters and this is well worthwhile. Assuming one could get enough offal or fish the smell is horrendous , allied to the fact that you need the correct type of fly blow , as you could end up with a mix with squatts and pinkies as well.

Timing is crucial and even if you could get sufficient blows from bluebottles this would be dependant on the weather. Supposing enough maggot anglers were to manage their bait requirments, this would impose yet a further financial strain on the bait breeders . One "good" year bearing in mind you could only do it for a few months, may just put one or some out of business . What do you do in winter ? The professionals have fly houses . All in all I do not think it is worth the bother , put them out of business in the summer , and regret it for the rest of the year. Don`t see many pubs getting re-opened if you know what I mean !

Guest bluedun

Don't bother is my advice. You'll need plenty of offal if you want to breed a decent amount. Not worth the stink, and it'll probably cost you as much in the long run. I once bred a few hookbaits but wouldn't bother now.

I have to agree. It was a pretty smelly affair and to make them halfway tolerable, they require changing a few times. I didn't mind when I was 14 but now I don't think I could be bothered.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Well it seems its not worth the hassle still a little tempted having gotten a cow heart from the butcher last night but think i'll maybe let the dog have it. Thanks for all the advice

Guest bbamboo

If its only on a small scale the smell is not to bad mate. I used to do it all in a biscuit tin once the meat has blown the lid goes on and covers the meat. The maggots hatch very quickly and the meat it eaten in a matter of a few days. Once the maggots have devoured the meat they leave the empty carcass and you can remove it. Let the maggots work there way though clean sawdust a couple of times and the jobs done. All done inside a sealed tin and at the bottom of the garden" easy".

Ps if you can get the meat free its defo worth the effort

Edited by bbamboo

bbamboo,

Where does one get sawdust these days, unless you havea sawmill nearby

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Guest bbamboo

bbamboo,

Where does one get sawdust these days, unless you havea sawmill nearby

No problem my circular saw makes plenty,I am a woodworker wotnobivvy :)

You can always use bran.