Canal capers

The Flying Tench

I was fishing fairly unsuccessfully by the canal yesterday, and there was a constant stream of people coming down the tow path. Plenty of joggers thumping the tow path and scaring the fish, plenty of dog walkers - though all very pleasant, and well inclined towards fishing. Then I heard a sound like the battle of El Alamein.

It was 2 joggers, a man and a woman, but the woman had a thick rope tied round her waist. This was tied to a chain, which in turn was tied to 2 massive tyres which she was towing along. The noise these made was pretty amazing.

I have two questions, not being a very experienced canal angler:

1) Is this normal?

2) Where would you fish in the circumstances?

john clarke

This sounds like a ritual in an organisation called the Hash House Harriers, which is a very informal running / drinking / wild behaviour club set up by British ex. pats in the far East.

There are branches everywheer that there are a significant number of ex pats - at least a dozen Hashes in HK (I was in Little Sai WAn if anyone's logging on), and quite a few have appeared back home now.

A meeting is called a 'Hash' and takes the form of an informal jog around a course marked out with chalk etc by a pair of hares. Nobody really knows where the course goes (apart from the Hares) as there are lots of false trails which are dead ends (indicated by a chalked 'T'). There are usually 'Wimp' and 'Rambo' options, and in some clubs the 'rambo' course can be quite hard.

Once back at base, there are bins full of ice / beer and, after everyone stands around drinking for a while before heading of to the after race dinner, which is known as the 'On On'.

Hashes have an very odd set of rules, which must be observed on penalty of a forfiet. Most have some sort of contraption which must be worn / carried by whoever comes first in the previous meeting.

It sound like this is what you've encountered!!

Guest NickInTheNorth

It also sounds very much like the training that people walking to the north/south poles pulling their own sled tend to undergo.

StuMac:

This sounds like a ritual in an organisation called the Hash House Harriers, which is a very informal running / drinking / wild behaviour club set up by British ex. pats in the far East.

Hashes have an very odd set of rules, which must be observed on penalty of a forfiet. Most have some sort of contraption which must be worn / carried by whoever comes first in the previous meeting.

I thought a typical Hashers 'handicap' was to drink 6 pints of lager before the run

2 tyres seems a bit severe!

Sounds like a really fit lady. Olympic athletes do this kind of stuff. Maybe someone in training for Athens?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.