Don't mention the Euro

Jim Roper

theres lots of nonsense about trade and how we would be better off in the euro zone ,its absolute tosh ,look at where your stuff comes from electronics from china and the far east , veg from the african continent , cheese lamb from new zealand , fruit from africa ,israel etc we import it because its cheap , the euro is doing well at the moment therefore its expensive to export ,at least the pound can be controlled , if we go euro the price BECAUSE we join will send it higher , if mexico and canada can coexist on the same continent as the usa then the pound can outside the european 4th reich .

the actual 5 states we need to get the euro is not the chancellors ones they are....

1) mp`s wont progress untill the exchange rate for their millions of pounds is far higher so just before anouncing were getting the euro they can exchange it for euro`s before the pound crashes.

2) we wont progress with further integration into europe untill the firms our beloved leaders have chairs/managerships/or are board members off pay a huge increase in the mp`s perks to push for membership.

3) blair is pushing for top job as the euro president hence all the euro handshaking lately and the sucking up to our euro masters (and you thought it was because of iraq :D ) gorden brown wants blairs job so will push also .

4) the other mp`s also want to get on the euro gravy train , look at the kinnocks are doing if washed out public figures only known for falling over in the sea can get on even mp`s can.

5 ) once the now anti protesters are bombarded with spin , lies , downright lies , bribes ,and fortelling of doom and despair all paid for by the tax payer ,warning of huge tax rises ,longer working hours ,less holidays will be used to convert the wavering , then the actual "question" used in the referendum will be so loaded that more will be dragged over to "yes" side ,then our masters will give us the referendum ,but look at gibralta 90%+ want to stay british BUT still the leaders negociate with spain if the cannot respect the majority in gibralta what chance do we have :mad:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was annouced this week that our exports to the EU block have dropped. How come, when the Euro has risen in value against the Pound recently?

As for housing, go and ask your local planning department if you could build yourself a house on a 10 acre plot you have seen for sale. You'll be laughed out of the office.

Everybody, with a few exceptions, involved in the planning process, has a vested interest in keeping house prices up, ie their only asset is their home.

Homebuyers are paying half of what they end up paying for all the extras like infrastructure payments that the planners ask developers to come up with in exchange for planning permission. That is if you don't buy the planning officer a holiday abroad of fill his holiday home with furniture.

I believe Blair would be willing to get into the Euro and lose the next election because he knows that it is irrersible and the old guard establishment, and with it our independance, will be neutered.

I don't believe that someone who represents people who are allowed to live, and are satisfied with living, in a concrete block shed in southern Europe, will care about the interest rate that someone buying a house built to our regulations has to pay.

The Soviet block had massive farms where decisions were made for millions of acres at once. They only people to do any good from them were the managers in their leather-bound office chairs. The peasants had to feed the people.

Having lots of people making small decisions to suit themselves might be seen as 'muddling through', but it works.

[ 10. June 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Roper:

It was annouced this week that our exports to the EU block have dropped. How come, when the Euro has risen in value against the Pound recently?

The same reason it has risen against the dollar. Because banks and other finacial institutions are selling pounds and dollars and buying Euros. Hence the Euro's rise against both GBP and USD in recent months.

As for housing, go and ask your local planning department if you could build yourself a house on a 10 acre plot you have seen for sale. You'll be laughed out of the office.

Undoubtably, but in France you might not.

Everybody, with a few exceptions, involved in the planning process, has a vested interest in keeping house prices up, ie their only asset is their home.

I must admit that I have never understood the British housing market. In most other markets supply and demand is the rule. If demand for BMW's goes up then they build more. When housing demand goes up they don't build more. This is the main reason I am going to leave the UK. I don't want to play in this daft game any more.

Homebuyers are paying half of what they end up paying for all the extras like infrastructure payments that the planners ask developers to come up with in exchange for planning permission. That is if you don't buy the planning officer a holiday abroad of fill his holiday home with furniture.

I hope that you are not suggestion that some local council officials are corrupt are you? At least we have SOMETHING in common with the French

I believe Blair would be willing to get into the Euro and lose the next election because he knows that it is irrersible and the old guard establishment, and with it our independance, will be neutered.

ASAP

I don't believe that someone who represents people who are allowed to live, and are satisfied with living, in a concrete block shed in southern Europe, will care about the interest rate that someone buying a house built to our regulations has to pay.

I do not know where exactly you are alluding to. I can only speak for what I have seen in France and I can assure you that the construction standards and techniques there are way ahead of ours in most respects.

NO Suspended wooden floors on wooden joists in France. EVERY wall socket and light fitting has its own isolation switch in the distribution board. My roof is not one of the crappy trussed things that they nail on here but a proper oak roof with rafters and purlins. All held together with big bolts and oak dowels like broom handles.

The Soviet block had massive farms where decisions were made for millions of acres at once. They only people to do any good from them were the managers in their leather-bound office chairs. The peasants had to feed the people.

They did indeed, but I can't see what its got to do with the Euro. This is the EU we are talking about not the USSR.

Having lots of people making small decisions to suit themselves might be seen as 'muddling through', but it works.

It does too. That is how France runs. France is a Federal system with as much as possible being done at town hall level. That is why just about EVERY town and village in France has an elected mayor!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Apache:

Frnace also has the advantage of cheap booze and fags! I speak fluent French and have spent a lot of time in France - But I would miss Blighty if I moved there for good.

I don't want the Euro!

Get a life kid! I had left home at your age and was on my way round the world.

Statements like 'I would miss Blighty if I moved there for good' makes you sound like 60 not 16 or 17. There is a great big world out there, just waiting for you to go and grab your share. Go for it, and remember 'Impossible n'est pas un mot français, ou un mot anglais'

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Excuse me Corydoras, but there are the following things for me to consider:

-I have a job in England where I earn my money in pounds,

-No way of travelling round the world that I can afford,

-Still classed as a juvenile and can't travel overseas on aircraft without a responsible adult.

If you have any ideas as to how I can go, let me know because I would dearly love to go somewhere for a change.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Apache:

Excuse me Corydoras, but there are the following things for me to consider:

-I have a job in England where I earn my money in pounds,

-No way of travelling round the world that I can afford,

-Still classed as a juvenile and can't travel overseas on aircraft without a responsible adult.

If you have any ideas as to how I can go, let me know because I would dearly love to go somewhere for a change.

I too have a job in England where I unfortunately receive my money in pounds too.

When I was your age I joined the Merchant Navy. This is not really an option for you as what Merchant Navy we once had was sold down the river by succesive British governments (both Labour and Tory). We could not get ourselves involved in a Falklands style conflict these days because we do not have the necessary Merchant Fleet. We would have to lease merchant ships from other countries. So unless you fancy joining the Armed Forces I am not sure how you can 'see the world for free' like I could when I was your age.

By the way, how old do you have to be to travel on your tod on an airliner these days? I flew from Heathrow to Tokyo on my own and I was less than 17 at the time.

About this Euro thing. I used to be just as anti as any other poster on Anglersnet but I had the good fortune to be in France on 'changeover day'. Everyone was predicting disasters and fiascos but apart from some cockups at one of the big motorway tollbooths (they ran out of change and had to lift the barriers).

It is true that the Euro has been inflationary in some countries, especially in Germany, Holland and Italy but we can learn from their mistakes and be tough on unscrupulous retailers ripping people off by 'rounding up' too much.

It is true that it will cost a lot of money to join and it is us the consumer that will pay, but at the end of the day we pay for EVERYTHING. It has always been that way and always will be because there is nobody else to pay.

There will never be a 'perfect' time to join, but while we are out we have no influence on the rules that are being created. We have always had this problem with Europe. We stubbornly refuse to get involved in new projects from day one and then complain when we do'nt like the rules that have been decided in our absence.

I believe that it is the interests of my children and my grandchildren that we join the Euro. We will join one day so in the words of the bard 'If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well

It were done quickly' In other words lets get this thing over and done with so that we can get on with the important things for our country. Health, Education, Transport and Housing and stop all this silly angst about the name we call the beer tokens in our pocket.

You know, some folks in France thought that having the name 'euro' was daft because we (the British) would have difficulties with it. They wanted to call the single currency the Pound but they were overruled. Shame that.

I also dont get this stuff about "if we 'give up' or 'ditch' the pound then we will lose our national identity". Is that all you have that gives you your national identity? A bit of brass with the queen's head on one side and the coat-of-arms on the other? Do you think that after having the Euro for a couple of years a Frenchman feels less French or a German less German? Of course they don't. So why would you lose yours? I'm sorry but I just don't get it.

I see where you are coming from Corydoras, and you have to be 18 to travel on an aircraft on your own.

I say that because my neighbour (17) went to Ireland with Aer Lingus to see relatives and she had to be accompanied.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Apache:

I see where you are coming from Corydoras, and you have to be 18 to travel on an aircraft on your own.

I say that because my neighbour (17) went to Ireland with Aer Lingus to see relatives and she had to be accompanied.

That is cr@p. I think you can travel on the cross-channel ferries on your own at 16, but I am not sure.

Yeah, but after I get to France, how do I travel inside France and outside without spending huge amounts of money on bus and train fares.

[ 11. June 2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Apache:

Yeah, but after I get to France, how do I travel inside France and outside without spending huge amounts of money on bus and train fares.

I was not really thinking about you really. I was just sort of passing a comment.

You need money I'm afraid and finding work at your age is not easy in France (right at this moment in time finding ANY kind of work in France is hard) because most Froggies of your age will still be at school.

At least you speak French so you would have that as an advantage. What do you do as a job here?