Vandalised Gatso's

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is quality - made my day too :D:D:D

raod safety my arse, I got a puller on the A570 for doing 87.3mph...perfect sunny day, no traffic, and without meaning to sound anti-social, no problem..this same stretch suffers terribly from standing water when it's raining, I drive at no more than 50 in these conditions, even the BM want's to aquaplane....but nobody else does, you can see them struggling with the wheel over the puddles "at the legal speed limit" 70mph :confused: :confused: :confused: B*****KS!

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

As much as I dislike the things I think that we need the things in this country thanks to the appaling attitudes and driving standards in Britain. Take Germany, for instance, people don't seem to think that slowing down to 30 KPH in a built up zone means that you have a small p*nis etc. Given an autobahn though they generally have the wherewithall to drive at unrestricted speeds or can plan sufficiently far enough ahead to avoid obstructing vehicles travelling at these high speeds....all on motorways which are generally only two lanes wide (No middle lane drivers I here you say....!!!)

Paul

Trouble with that theory, Paul, is that most of these Gatso's aren't in residential areas. They are hidden behind roadsigns on perfectly straight bits of road with the sole intention of flashing as many motorists as possible.

I bet the police even have league tables.

Elton

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I think in time, those roadside speedcams will disappear, because of the costly damage, what will replace them? speed detector strips built into the road with a electronic chip device built into the cars system to identify car regstrations? I'm not giving the authorities ideas, but is something like this already in the pipeline? ooer

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Tinca61:

As much as I dislike the things I think that we need the things in this country thanks to the appaling attitudes and driving standards in Britain. Take Germany, for instance, people don't seem to think that slowing down to 30 KPH in a built up zone means that you have a small p*nis etc. Given an autobahn though they generally have the wherewithall to drive at unrestricted speeds or can plan sufficiently far enough ahead to avoid obstructing vehicles travelling at these high speeds....all on motorways which are generally only two lanes wide (No middle lane drivers I here you say....!!!)

Is that why Britain has one of the best safety records in the world?? Our death rates are way lower than most other countries.

By rigidly imposing silly limits when modern cars are so easy to drive we are creating a nation of zombie drivers who simply daydream their way around because it takes no concentration to actually drive (hence the middle lane drivers). I have no issue at all with 30 limits in town, and would equally have no problems with 20 around schools and the like, but this all-encompasing 'speed is bad' attitude (largely foisted on us by unelected public transport lobbies) is doing far more damage than good. Transport 2000? Transport 1900 more like!

All the roads in my area have had their limits lowered since I moved here 3 years ago (50 to 40 & 40 to 30). It is not an accident blackspot and there was really no need for it. Most traffic still travels at the old speed because that was a safe speed before they changed it. The difference? Cameras! Nothing to do with raising money of course!

[ 04. June 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

quote:

Is that why Britain has one of the best safety records in the world?? Our death rates are way lower than most other countries.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. I don't doubt that by measuring up our statistics against third world countries who regularly drive overcrowded buses over ravines and into swollen rivers etc we'll look quite good. I've also no problems with higher speeds on non urban roads but until the drivers in this country get to grips with speeds, lane discipline, indication etc etc etc etc in urban areas then we need to stop pretending that we could all do a better job than Nigel Mansell.

Driving around in and around Bradford every day I see it every day. My worst pet hate, and it does happen very regularly, is when waiting at a red light to go straight on and the obligatory 'sports' car with blacked out windows pulls up alongside in the clearly marked lane to turn right and when the lights change he'll dump the clutch at 3K revs to get between me and oncoming traffic wanting to turn right :mad:

Paul

Not related to this, but I had the nearest 'miss' I think I've ever had in a car last night.

I was driving along a country road on the way home, when a white Ford appeared on the road ahead of me, travelling towards my car. He was in the middle of the road. Nothing unusual in that - lots of drivers do that on the clear straights to save getting the side of the car battered by bushes and overhanging branches.

However, this guy must have been doing something - putting a tape in, lighting a fag, or whatever - as he noticed my car when he was, literally, just a few feet away. I had slammed the brakes on, but had nowhere to veer to, as my side was lined with trees.

I braced myself for the impact and can still see his face as he suddenly noticed my car and panic set in as he grabbed the wheel, steered sharply left, brushed against the bank on his side and carried on.

I just hope that it taught him that country roads need your total concentration - apart from me in a big car that could cause lots of damage, these 60mph roads also have pedestrians, horses and tractors around the most innocent of bends.

Elton

Guest NickInTheNorth

Tinca

The safety thing is a sweeping statement, but non the less true. The safety record on britains roads is better than virtually all european countries, and way better than the USA (in terms of incidence of death and serious injury). We really do have the safest roads in the world!

Anyone who has an issue with speed limits imposed in their local area may find this link http://www.abd.org.uk/speedobj.htm of interest.

In addition how many people realise that the 70 mph speed limit on motorways has only been in force since December 1965. It was introduced as an illogical reaction to a series of multiple accidents in poor weather conditions. More details here

[ 04. June 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: NickInTheNorth ]