Has float fishing becoming a dying art?

Dave H

I suspect freelining is more of a dying art Mike - but deadly effective.

Rusty - I agree - on our rivers there are a few trotters which is great. I do feel that anglers are missing out on standard club type lakes - a float fished bait tight to overhanging trees is really productive.

I do think though that maybe its down to the presence of carp as the dominant species - in Frensham Ponds for example there are a small number of large carp and they require a dedicated approach but I do see a lot of trad float fishing for the tench and rudd. Same with Summer Pit at Yateley. But on Badshot lea you'll see mainly buzzers and bivvies despite the effectiveness of the trad float on those lakes. You'll see more poles than trad float fishing I think on carp dominated lakes - and highly skilled they tend to be too.

M

I did a couple of hours of floater fishing for carp yesterday evening (freelining), and there were quite a few people there float fishing on the bottom and not catching anything, as all the fish were up in the water. So not everyone who float fishes is an expert guardian of a lost art ;)

PS I once had one of the fabled Frensham carp, but I was legering at the time :)

I still see quite a few people float fishing, the main exception being session fishing (usually for carp), when it's not usually the most sensible option.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Im afraid so Matt! :)It seems that its regarded as an old fashioned method used by old men now as even youngsters go straight into boillie and buzzer fishing now! Not decrying or blaming anything/anyone (although I do think its a GREAT shame that more people don't at least start off using the float) simply commenting on what I have seen both on the banks and in the shops over the past few decades.

I think Mr Dastardly you have always been old at heart. I have seen the Dr Scholls high loaders sneakily hiding in your house in your weekend section. A pike bung in those gay colours and a lady pad in case you are caught short.

Or am i just imaginating it :busted_cop:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I did a couple of hours of floater fishing for carp yesterday evening (freelining), and there were quite a few people there float fishing on the bottom and not catching anything, as all the fish were up in the water. So not everyone who float fishes is an expert guardian of a lost art ;)

PS I once had one of the fabled Frensham carp, but I was legering at the time :)

I still see quite a few people float fishing, the main exception being session fishing (usually for carp), when it's not usually the most sensible option.

Fair point Anderoo - far from an expert guardian - still learning every time I get out ;-)

M

All,

Float fishing??

Old fishermen never die - they just loose their bobbers.

Is that "float" fishing? Or is float fishing just the super dupper way to bobber fish?

Bobbers are still quite common for certain species and almost non-existent for others among "skilled" anglers.

Phone

Edit: I guess what I'm sayin' is I don't believe there is much of an "art" to bobber fishing in the US.

Edited by Phone

Edit: I guess what I'm sayin' is I don't believe there is much of an "art" to bobber fishing in the US.

From what I've seen of it, I would probably agree!

This is more UK style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GPHPpENZmQ

Well interestingly I'm off to Dents fishery at Hillgay on Saturday afternoon. Current trend there according to my brother is to use a slow sinking bomb with an 8mm pellet.

My thinking is to waggler fish the margins and see what happens! Lol!

We shall see which method produces the fish...but more importantly the better experience!

Place is stocked with good carp, barbel, tench,bream and silvers so hopefully we will both bag up!

Edited by kirisute

Well interestingly I'm off to Dents fishery at Hillgay on Saturday afternoon. Current trend there according to my brother is to use a slow sinking bomb with an 8mm pellet.

My thinking is to waggler fish the margins and see what happens! Lol!

We shall see which method produces the fish...but more importantly the better experience!

Place is stocked with good carp, barbel, tench,bream and silvers so hopefully we will both bag up!

Even better, right next to Dents is the river Wissey, a wonderful little river that's perfect for some Norfolk trotting :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music