Fact or fiction

wotawoppa

Saved by the bell

Boxing term.

Original matches were run so a round was until a fighter was knocked down and the fight ran until one fighter could no longer get up.

Later things became somewhat more "civilized" with fixed-length rounds and the end of a round signaled by a bell being sounded. Rule was that a fighter who was down at the sound of the bell could still fight if he was able by the start of the next round.

US matches these days have mostly gone to "A fighter can only be saved by the bell in the last round" or "A fighter cannot be saved by the bell in any round" depending on what State is hosting the match.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nursejudy:

wordbender

the first person to fly toAustralia was the escapologist Harry Houdini

nursejudy

That's fly 'in', rather than 'to', Australia, your nurseship. However, seeing as you got the right chap, and, due to your staggering (frankly unfair) degrees of attraction and gentility, I'll overlook that tiny discrepancy. :)

As for 'saved by the bell', it's often been stated that this term derives from your medical ancestors' unfortunate habit of failing to correctly diagnose the death of a patient and allowing them to be buried alive. :rolleyes:

To give the recently-interred a sporting chance, a string, attached to an above-ground bell, would be installed in the coffin and any tollings on behalf of the un-dead would see them exhumed and 'saved by the bell'. Allegedly.

The poor sods who's job it was to sit in the cemetary all night listening for examples of subterranean campanology, were said to be doing the 'graveyard shift'. So, two sayings for the price on one, there. Unless it's all cobblers, of course.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

you are both right blackmarket ..slavery

Saved by the bell ..a way of preventing people being buried alive,

not sure if thats a comliment Terry..about me staggering..

here are 2 more easy ones.

A square meal

and

Upper crust.

Nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

And two more ...

Why was the Duke of Wellington called "The Iron Duke" ?

Why is it considered unlucky to take the third light off a match ?

The Older I get .. The better I was.

MrWiggly:

Another one to keep it going ....

Origin of "Posh" please.

'Port Out, Starboard Home'. Cabins on the sunny side of ships leaving the UK?

Terry

re Iron Duke

Wellington as prime minister made a speech which brought the government down,there was much rioting, Wellington had iron shutters made for his windows toprotect the house and family

hence iron Duke

nursejudy :D

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

MrWiggly:

And two more ...

Why is it considered unlucky to take the third light off a match ?

Is this the 'sniper' one? In that, by the time the bloke taking the third light was illuminated, an enemy sniper would have had time to draw a bead on him.

Terry