Fact or fiction

wotawoppa

Tinca61:

They ate prime venison, while the servants and other of low standing had to make do with a pie made from the umbles of the deer - its entrails, liver and heart.

Ahh, the lucky beggars. Venison is my favourite meat. Especially if it is from the red deer or elk as our American cousins call it.

Yum yum!

Corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Ahh, the lucky beggars. Venison is my favourite meat. Especially if it is from the red deer or elk as our American cousins call it.

I quite agree, second only to a roast Goose served with red Cabbage and Potato Dumplings in my book.....Slurp!

The Real McCoy:

The saying could have originated in Scotland around 1870 when a whisky distiller called G. Mackay promoted his whisky as 'the real Mackay' to distinguish it from a rival company also called Mackay.

Then 'Kid' McCoy, an American prize fighter in the 1890's, liked to boast that someone in a bar challenged him to prove his identity. So McCoy knocked the unfortunate person out and when he came round, he agreed, 'You're the real McCoy'

In Quartine:

The nautical link is true but this also applies...

For English noblewomen in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, quarantine held another meaning. When their husbands died, some widows had to remove from the main mansion of the estate to a smaller 'dower' house while the larger home passed to the heir of the next generation. But for forty days, known as the widow's quarantine, a woman could remain in her late husband's mansion.

Paul

Tinca61:

For English noblewomen in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, quarantine held another meaning. When their husbands died, some widows had to remove from the main mansion of the estate to a smaller 'dower' house while the larger home passed to the heir of the next generation. But for forty days, known as the widow's quarantine, a woman could remain in her late husband's mansion.

I concur 100%, however I do not think this is the ORIGIN of the word.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Marbles ??? Conkers ??? But of course, my little Pudding !!!!

But do you remember these ?

Kick Can.

Touch Burners.

Tiggy.

Lichorice Wood.

Miniature Cricket.

HangMan.

Zip Guns.

Catapults.

BlowPipes.

Scromping.

Stomping.

Soap Boxes.

So long ago .......

[ 13. March 2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: MrWiggly ]

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Does Scromping=Scrumping? if so great times...!!!Pinching unripe fruit under the threat of perceived massive punishment by the owner of the trees in the invaded gardens....If I had fruit trees in my garden now and was subjected to the local kids scrumping them I'd just watch and smile, probably much like the owners did all those years ago......!!

Paul

See we have gone in a new direction.

grass sledging on cardboard.

playing doctors and nurses

soap box derbys :D:D

judy

mange tout... :D

[ 13. March 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: nursejudy ]

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Or perhaps the most fun of all, going fishing where you were not supposed to be (poaching !)the big kids always said the farmer would get you! What he was going to do I never found out but came close a time or two...sunny lazy days what ever happened to them.

Nursie...seems to me you never got over playing doctors and nurses :D:D:D

Anybody else use a book and skate? Downhill of course.An old Eagle annual(or similar) and one Jacko skate,perch on top and away you go.

I can feel the grazed knees all over again. :D

ajp:

Anybody else use a book and skate? Downhill of course.An old Eagle annual(or similar) and one Jacko skate,perch on top and away you go.

I can feel the grazed knees all over again. :D

Why did you put a perch on top of the skate..?