Taking the plunge...

Piperspruce

Hadnt even crossed my mind!

So is it a matter of personal choice as to whether the line comes off the top or bottom of the spool?

Whatever your comfortable with.

We discussed it in this thread,

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/4982041-top-or-bottom/

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm no lover of lineguards but they do help to stop the line going round the back of the foot in windy conditions.

I'm sure you're right, but I've never left a line guard on a pin long enough to find out. <_<

The line will go around the foot in windy conditions if you let it: as soon as I know it's going to happen (like, after the first time) I get in the habit of turning the rod as I cast (just a turn of the wrist is all that's needed) so that the line is blowing away from the reel foot, it may sound complicated but like anything with using a pin it soon becomes second nature - I probably even do it when I don't need to now. :rolleyes:

All great advice. Mine would be to try it on an 'easy' trotting water with loads of dace/roach if you have a such a thing locally and get used to handling the beast. I would also suggest you start with quite a heavy float set up - say a 3AA chubber or avon - you'll find it much easier to control with some weight down the line.

Have fun!

M

I'm sure you're right, but I've never left a line guard on a pin long enough to find out. <_<

The line will go around the foot in windy conditions if you let it: as soon as I know it's going to happen (like, after the first time) I get in the habit of turning the rod as I cast (just a turn of the wrist is all that's needed) so that the line is blowing away from the reel foot, it may sound complicated but like anything with using a pin it soon becomes second nature - I probably even do it when I don't need to now. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I turn the rod as you say you do ayjay. I very rarely use a line guard and mostly when it's very windy and i'm fishing a small river where long casting isn't required. Imo there is a place for them all be it on few occasions.