Starting up a new fishery

Guest ryan_g299

Guest ryan_g299

Im planning to start a new fishery which will buy, what would be the best way of going about this? if i charge yearly memberships, not many people would come because most people wouldnt want to pay £300 a year to go fishing once or twice, so im planning on charging £7.00 on the gate but i dont know how much to charge for matches or how often to have matches... How much do you reckon i would earn yearly?

What you offer will dictate what you can charge and what people will pay. Lots of anglers will pay big bucks but have expectations about what they get for the money and that includes the quality of fish you have.

It's all about knowing your customers. At the lower end of the market there is a glut of small heavy stocked waters and you will face a lot of competition.

It's hard to answer your question with out information about the fishery. It's a bit like asking what to charge for a car. There is a wide gulf in price from an old rust bucket and a formula 1 car, the same goes for fisheries.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

ryan

Is this for a hypothetical school project? The first thing you need is a "business plan". Try these guys http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/y3427e/y3427e03.htm or the EA has any number of experts ready to help. They certainly don't want you to do it wrong and cause any kind of catastrophic event. Bad news goes round the world whilst a new fishery may take years to become known.

The answer may be - just may be - "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Phone

We've seen a lot of these topics over the years, I wonder if any of them ever got off the ground?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Im planning to start a new fishery which will buy, what would be the best way of going about this? if i charge yearly memberships, not many people would come because most people wouldnt want to pay £300 a year to go fishing once or twice, so im planning on charging £7.00 on the gate but i dont know how much to charge for matches or how often to have matches... How much do you reckon i would earn yearly?

1. Find a person with a nice lake and give them lots of money for it.

2. Nothing.

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Ryan

The only way you will make a small fortune running a fishery is to start off with a large fortune.

I am not being personal but you don't sound as if you know enough about the business to be contemplating such a thing

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

'The fishing is currently being run as a syndicate, with up to 50 members.'

It doesn't sound like a new fishery to me! What's the annual income from the syndicate members? What's the cost of running it? A - B is your profit.

I wouldn't be spending £100k on anything unless I'd done a lot of sums first, and had a cast iron business case.

If you're planning on kicking the syndicate out and turning it into a day ticket fishery, is there enough demand in the local area? Will it offer something people will be prepared to travel for? How many day tickets and at what price will you need to sell to break even? What profit do you need to make per year over the next few years to stay afloat?

Just a few questions off the top of my head...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Ryan

I know nothing about fishery management etc but South East England is a wash with Carp fisheries but oddly not that many in the Essex/Herts area have cats. Loads of fisheries south of the river stock them and most anglers in part of London head south and west of London after them.

I had never heard of this fishery maybe because it was syndicate run but if the sums add up and you do purchase it I would be interested in fishing it on a day ticket basis and depending on price I would be keen to put my name down for a syndicate place.

The presence of Carp and Cats will attract overnight and long stay anglers and so a general thought maybe that you might not get that many 9 to 5 day ticket anglers but may well attract a lot wanting to fish 24/48 hours. The presence of matches going on will not go down well with the Carp anglers and so maybe you need to choose between longstay & day ticket anglers and match fishing.

There are a lot of fisheries catering for day ticket anglers with more out and out match style facilities in this part of the world and it might be hard to compete with the waters with cafes etc. In the last year a number of Carp lakes in the area have gone to syndicate or yearly membership such as Holyfields Carp Lakes and Brooke Lake and so the market for this style of fishing is high around this way.

Do you know if the current syndicate is full?

As a customer I like the thought of a water with Cats only 30/40 minutes away. Its the sort of water I would expect to have a full syndicate, I think the presence of Cats may be the thing that would make this an attractive water to some anglers if marketed correctly and set it appart from other waters in the area.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

If you guys want to see the lake im getting; here it is http://www.fisheries4sale.com/property/112/Church_Langley_Fishery/ , i already have the funds and i shoud be on it soon

So 100k to buy it. Then stock, maintenance and time for collecting these £7 off each angler and to make sure their not eating your stock. Without thinking about the price of otter proof fencing. How many anglers do you think you will need per day (every day) to get a return?

I think you might have to get anglers standing shoulder to shoulder on the nice weekends on a 2 acre puddle if you want anything better than beans on toast for tea.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep