Eel Record

Elton

I don't pretend to know the answers to this, but could it be that eels are now doing OK in fresh water (which is where most of us spend our time) but then get scooped up in huge numbers when they leave for the estuaries and seas?

BTW it's good to hear the eels are plentiful again in Norfolk (or at least parts of it), they definitely suffered an enormous drop in numbers when I lived in the fens. I haven't fished there in ages so am out of touch with the current situation. In the 8 or so years I've been in Oxfordshire, I've never caught a single eel from any local waters - but that may have always been the case?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've never seen or caught eels near Oxford. That said I'm absolutely happy with that state of affairs.

Rich

I can't stop catching eels, Rich; even in waters where they weren't previously known to exist. It's clearly some sort of curse - must make an appointment with the local mage.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

rob,

Eels are attracted to anglers with "electric" personalities.

Phone

The wife often tells me that I'm shocking; maybe that's what she means?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."