Will the EU survive.

spasor

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it or not, one major factor in all of this is the fact that the western democracies are power based in commercial interests. While all of the talking and prevaricating has been going on you will notice that the value of stocks and shares have fallen dramatically. Even if, for no other reason this will make war inevitable. The powers that run the commercial conglomerates have much more influence than the average citizen, and like it or like it not they are the supporting structure of our free society.

This situation threatens the fundamental stability of our society and the sooner the French and Germans realise this the better.

quote:

woooooooooooo and there you have it

And there you have what Yoxer?

At least it offers a solution, albeit an extreme one. All you do is knock and whinge, you offer no solutions or even half decent proposals.

yoxer

Anglers' Net Regular

Member # 1314

posted 18 February, 2003 05:04 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corydoras:

I personally think that if the UN said that the only solution other than military action was a deal with Iraq ....that if the UN are allowed total, unfetered access to anywhere in Iraq, with no predetermined time limit, with as many inspectors as the UN think they need to commit ( be it 20 or 200,000) then all sanctions will be lifted when all teams report complete compliance. Also there would be an "Amnesty" whereby if the inspectors do find any WMD no further action will be taken. They will be decommissioned anyway so there will be no threat. I think the international community would find this proposal very hard to refuse.

So, do you choose:

a) Lift sanctions and let Iraq get on doing whatever

B) Keep sanctions imposed to quell any threat at the expense of 000's of lives

c) Remove Saddam in the belief you can save the lives of 000's of people

d) The above solution .

e) Name any other solution you can think of

personaly I think the one suggesting dropin pigs on them is a gud un aswell

quote:

I have no idea if the US was ever generally liked by other nations. Nor do I think it matters since in the end, a nation has to look after it's own self-interest so "liking" or "not liking" another nation has about the same value as a bucket of warm spit.

yuk i dont like buckets of spit at all

hate ( or racism) is what makes the world go round , its called tribalism only nowadays the tribes are a bit bigger , if a person truly loves his country (or tribe) then other tribes (or countries ,races ,religeon ,colour etc) become a threat , i can see nothing wrong with hate nor racism nor religeous intolerance ,it works both ways , anyone can call me what they like but dont get upset when i answer in kind :D its a small step up from animal herd and hareem instinct , treat outsiders with caution better still kill them to preserve your genes :)

as for europe i dont give a toss so long as im not in it ,bring back fortress britain to preserve the brits

[ 05. March 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Newt:

I have no idea if the US was ever generally liked by other nations. Nor do I think it matters since in the end, a nation has to look after it's own self-interest so "liking" or "not liking" another nation has about the same value as a bucket of warm spit.

Newt, you've got to understand that Brits seem to enjoy knocking the top dog, not just others but they do it to their own too. Build em up and knock em down. However dont think that the majority are anti American. 750,000 marching in London included kids, day trippers, professional protesters and the usual hand wringing lefties who turn out every now and then. A lot of British people like the Americans and feel they have more in common with you than the jelly backs across the channel.

They can talk about being Europeans as much as they want too, we dont want it. If we ever have to give up being British, and I can't think of any good reason to, I think there would be more people inclined to flood the tunnel and throw our lot in with you.

Before any body gets the wrong impression I am not a Tory, I just dont trust the f******

Dave

Guest Geoff Carlin

I hope this is not true.

KoreaTimes `NK Missile Warhead Found in Alaska’.htm

NK Missile Warhead Found in Alaska’

By Ryu Jin

Staff Reporter

The warhead of a long-range missile test-fired by North Korea was found in the U.S. state of Alaska, a report to the National Assembly revealed yesterday.

``According to a U.S. document, the last piece of a missile warhead fired by North Korea was found in Alaska,’’ former Japanese foreign minister Taro Nakayama was quoted as saying in the report. ``Washington, as well as Tokyo, has so far underrated Pyongyang’s missile capabilities.’’

The report was the culmination of monthlong activities of the Assembly’s overseas delegation to five countries over the North Korean nuclear crisis. The Assembly dispatched groups of lawmakers to the United States, Japan, China, Russia and European Union last month to collect information and opinions on the international issue.

The team sent to Japan, headed by Rep. **** Hak-won of the United Liberal Democrats, reported, ``Nakayama said Washington has come to put more emphasis on trilateral cooperation between South Korea, Japan and the United States since it recognized that the three countries are within the range of North Korean missiles.’’

According to the group dispatched to the U.S., American politicians had a wide range of opinions over the resolution of the nuclear issue, from ``a peaceful resolution’’ to ``military response.’’

Doves, such as Rep. Edward J. Markey, a Massachusetts Democrat and co-chairman of the Bipartisan Task Force on Nonproliferation, called for a peaceful settlement of the current confrontation, by offering food, energy and other humanitarian aid to the poverty-stricken country, while urging the North to give up its nuclear ambitions.

Rep. Markey also said the North should return to the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and the U.S. should make a nonaggression pact with the communist North.

Hardliners, however, warned that the North’s possession of nuclear weapons will instigate a nuclear race in the region, provoking Japan to also acquire nuclear weapons. Rep. Mark Steven Kirk, an Illinois Republican, said the U.S. might have to bomb the Yongbyon nuclear complex should the North try to export its nuclear material to other countries.

Over the controversy concerning the withdrawal of U.S. forces stationed here, most American legislators that the parliamentary delegation met said U.S. troops should stay on the peninsula as long as the Korean people want, the report said.

jinryu@koreatimes.co.kr

03-04-2003 17:2

I hope it's not true as well!

Paul

quote:

as for europe i dont give a toss so long as im not in it ,bring back fortress britain to preserve the brits

Chesters - which brits did you have in mind, The Celts, The Angles, The Saxons, The Normans, Scots, Welsh, Cornish, Manx? Let's go back to being ruled by the Romans.

Time and technology bring change, otherwise we would all still be living in mud huts. The 'tribes' grow larger, move farther apart and it's not possible to remain insular in today's world. It takes a long time for historical differences to fade, but fade they do, and it tends to be only the old farts (of which I'm one) that resist change. My children have grown up travelling widely in Europe, they think it's normal, they don't recognise European borders as entering a hostile place, just a cultural change. It will take a long time, but just as the 'tribes' of Britain have come together, so will the 'tribes' of Europe and ultimately the world. That is if we don't destroy ourselves first. But I'm an eternal optimist.