mobile phones and kids

billy5000

Hi all

corydoras im 27 and despite my age i never knew that to know of pain and stress etc i have to have fought in any war or be over 40 to know how the world works as i suspect like everyone you still learn new things every day.

and regards to being some sort of daily mail reading malcontent i dont even buy a paper nor bother to read the net news i rarly even bother watching the news on tv nor am i jealous of anyone i for one try and stay ahead with respect to up and coming generations since i have two kids both of which will see more than i will of these growing trends.

im sure you mean not to offend with your age query but what has age got to do with anything

billy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Any of you who served in the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy (like me) were subjected to MUCH more microwave radiation from RADAR scanners than you would ever get from a mobile phone.

arnt naval vessels really tin boxes ,which as you know are extremley good Faraday Shields :confused: the only exposure would be on deck duties and even then the angle of the radar would probably only touch the extreme ends of the ship :confused:

no one mentioned the war and the 1950`s WAS the decade that britain started to restart into the very thing that we enjoy today , car ownership started to rise , electronics became available to the masses and as you know "demand" controls production and R&D , despite your misgivings of the british ideal the fifties bred the people that brought the idealists that changed the later decades ,their siblings continue , unlike today things were made because the people wanted it ,today they are made and billions spent "incase" we want it ,things are rushed out by huge companies not for need but for greed ,the fate of Marcony is but one instance

[ 15. July 2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

corydoras:

corydoras:

If they can bring on brain problems in adults, what can they do to kids?

IF they can. IF being the operative. There is no research at the moment that shows that they can. Nor is there any research that shows that they cannot.

Any of you who served in the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy (like me) were subjected to MUCH more microwave radiation from RADAR scanners than you would ever get from a mobile phone.

I don't believe that the masts are as much danger as the handsets. Inverse square law and all that.

A neighbour of mine had a mobile engine tuning business with all the calls redirected from his home number to his mobile in his van.

He went to the doctor complaining of sudden fits of sickness, headaches etc., The doctor asked what operation had left the scar tissue on the back of his neck. He had never had any operation, but his mobile phone gubbins was mounted on a shelf directly behind his neck as he sat in the van drivers seat. The RF from the ariel had burnt the back of his neck.

After lots of tests in hostpital, connected up to all sorts of gadgets, it was decided that some of the zeoes and ones in his brain had been reversed or were unstable and kept reversing.

About a year ago now, he had a stroke and about a month later had three heart attacks in a day.

He is about 45 years old.

Another chap that we used to know, had been in the RAF and worked with Radar. He was keen on CB radio and then Ham radio. He set up in business selling mobile phones about 10 years ago. About 5 year ago he died of leukemia.

I'm not going to wait for the Government admit to doing any research. They allready say it is not advisable for children to use them for extended periods.

After taking Billions off the mobile phone networks for licenses, they're not likely to admit there is a problem.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

chesters1:

arnt naval vessels really tin boxes ,which as you know are extremley good Faraday Shields :confused:

the only exposure would be on deck duties and even then the angle of the radar would probably only touch the extreme ends of the ship :confused:

Yes this is true, but if you are working out on deck and are anywhere near the scanners or the emmiter horns then you will be subject to upto 50kW from a 3cm RADAR scanner and up to 60kW from a 10 cm set. Many ships are eqipped with both and will have both of them running all the time. Now that is a LOT more than you get from a mobile phone, it is enough to cook your eyeballs and make you blind from cateracts, and if you get really close then the warming of you gonads will negate any need for a vasectomy.

no one mentioned the war

No they didn't, but many of the posters in these forums make themeselves sound as if they had fought through it, from the declaration all the way through through to VJ-Day. My problem with this is that this would make one at least 82 years of age and I don't think many Anglers net posters are quite that old.

and the 1950`s WAS the decade that britain started to restart into the very thing that we enjoy today , car ownership started to rise , electronics became available to the masses and as you know "demand" controls production and R&D , despite your misgivings of the british ideal the fifties bred the people that brought the idealists that changed the later decades ,their siblings continue , unlike today things were made because the people wanted it ,today they are made and billions spent "incase" we want it ,things are rushed out by huge companies not for need but for greed ,the fate of Marcony is but one instance :(

It's the fifties bit I don't agree with. If you changed it to the sixties I might half go along with you.

In the 50's only 46% of UK households had a bathroom and petrol was still rationed up until 30 May 1950.

Marconi went down the tubes because the management jumped on the wrong bandwagon.

The world has changed, it is going to change a LOT more. Best get used to it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

corydoras:

.... The world has changed, it is going to change a LOT more. Best get used to it.

Or would anyone like to join the angling branch of Luddits United? It doesn't exist yet but I'm thinking of starting a chapter. Affiliated with the Flat Earth Society. :)

corydroas - I'm 58. I use a cell phone but only on rare occasion. Have one but usually don't turn it on except to make a short call and then back off. All my younguns are grown now so if they want to use them, they are welcome to - unless they are driving and I'm in the car.

I spent enough time near radar masts that I want to keep the functional brain cells I have left. While that may not have caused any of my quirks, it certainly makes a great excuse. :D:D

[ 16. July 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

corydroas - I'm 58.

Hi Newt

Yeah I kinda guessed that you must be in that ball park, but you cannot really tell by your posts. My point was thet some of the posters make themselves sound like 88 when the are probably only in their 40s and it bugs me when people are avaricious of the life and achievements of the younger generations.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

don't you think it's funny how common prostate cancer has become? - hmm whats everyone walking round with in their pockets??

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Hi all

by awaaar

quote:

don't you think it's funny how common prostate cancer has become? - hmm whats everyone walking round with in their pockets??

:D:D the danglybits are usally a better aerial than the one supplied on the phone

billy

corydoras:

it bugs me when people are avaricious of the life and achievements of the younger generations.

Like GM crops?

My grandfather was born illigitimate in 1858. He worked on the building of Southampton docks and the Abbotsbury railway, among other things. He left Abbotsbury because no-one was aloud to own a gun in the village. He never lived in his own house, always a tied cottage. Two of his cousins were murdered by the revolutionaries in Russia in 1919. He left £29,000 when he died in 1939. When the War Department planned the bombing ranges off Chesil Beach prior to WW2, he went up to Whitehall and got them to move the ranges to safeguard the mackerel fishery.

My father had a days school holiday for Victorias Jubilee, but only half a day off for the relief of Mafeking. He served his time as a steam fitter on paddle steamers (still got his papers). He saw the first bicycle come to the village. He worked on traction engines and saw pictures of men walking on the Moon. He made the mechanism that started the motor of the torpedo that crippled the Bismark.

My uncle was in the last regiment from Britain to take part in a cavalry charge by a single regiment. the Queen's Own Dorset Yeomenry. It was at Agagia in the Egyptian Western Desert, when 188 troopers, earlier described as 'the dregs of the Dorset farmyards', charged two thirds of a mile, over open country, at 1500 Sennusi arabs, who were armed with machine-guns, killing several hundred of the enemy with their sabres.

The Turkish cammanding officer of the arabs, later said, in captivity. "It broke all the rules of warfare, only British cavalry would have done it".

No more clues as to my age. Just pick the bones out of that, sonny.

A lot of young men lied about their age to get into the army. Our ex local copper was 16 when he was captured by the Japs in Singapore, and spent the rest of the war on the Burma railway. The Army finally realised something was not right when they found he was only 3 months younger than his brother.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

Like GM crops?

No Jim, definitely not like GM crops.

If ever there was a solution looking for a problem it is GM crops at least as far as food production goes, although I have an open mind about how they might be used to 'grow' medicines.

We might be able to find a cure for diseases like MS and MD by working on GM plants.

I know that a lot of young men lied to get into the forces during the war, but lets get that into perspective.

War was declared on Sept 3, 1939 by Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand following the invasion of Poland on Sept 1. That will be 64 years ago this year by my reckoning. So even if a 10 year old boy managed to fool a recruiting seargeant into letting him sign up at the outbreak of the war, that 10 year old would be 74 this year, or maybe I can't count?

Anyway I KNOW that you are a Senior Citizen (I am trying to be diplomatic ) and I don't have ANY problems with your views at all. What 'bugs' me is when I see posts from folks that I am fairly confident are from folks of my my generation or younger who make themselves sound as if they were at the Relief of Mafeking :rolleyes:

I found the rest of your post very interesting. Especially paddle steamers and torpedoes. My mothers uncle (who was like a grandfather to me as her own father died) worked in the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria in Dumbartonshire during the war and I was brought up with a paddle steamer on my doorstep.

Once I have picked the bones out of it will make a stab at your age, if you don't mind.