Zander fishing

Anderoo

I've posted this before, but at about 13.09 on this video there's a really good close-up of a typical confident zander bite - a little 'donk' followed by the line going light:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qV-RB2mQU

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo,

Bottom bouncers are used to keep a lure off the bottom but close to the bottom in a "zone". They are the "ticket" when fish are on the bottom or near bottom structure. (The don't get hung up easily when drifting).

As to the bass question. Better ask Newt. They are more like pike IMO. Bass are subject to angler participation in that great watercraft equals great success and personal satisfaction.

Phone

Thanks Phone, interesting. I've never used one before.

I had my first day for this predator season yesterday, it was really nice to be back out doing drifts and waiting for the 'donk' of a zander bite. I found it surprisingly hard for the first half of the day, all the areas I've done well in before seemed empty and by early afternoon I'd only managed to scratch out about 4 or 5, plus a very angry 15lb+ pike that hit the lure with a wallop and had the little rod bent double (landed and returned fine BTW). Eventlyually after a lot of hunting I found a good concentration of zander and spent the rest of the day plundering them and ended up catching plenty. It rained on and off all day, but the wind was a good drifting speed.

The new toys all worked well, so that's a relief. The transducer arm is really good, the new seat is lovely and comfy :) and the new rod and reel are excellent and a joy to use.

Back out again tomorrow for more fun :)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo is it the Nev Fickling transducer bracket?? is it the clamp on swivel seat padded version if so I broke the first in my shed and sold the second for pennys when I sold the portabote.... :doh:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

TFT yes I have tried drop-shotting a fair bit in the past but have still never caught a zander on it, even in areas where I was getting lots of hits on jigs. I don't know why, in theory it should work just as well. maybe it's because it's from a drifting boat, and if it was anchored it would work? I don't know. I do have a friend though who has caught canal zander from the bank on the drop-shot.

JV yes it's the NF one (http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/section93/Boat-Fishing/product1268/Transducer-Bracket-With-5.html), I've been out with it twice now and so far it's been solid and much better than the suction cup. It fits the AW boats fine.

Rich and I had a great day out there yesterday, we didn't keep count but we caught a lot! Mostly small but a few bigger ones topped off by a really nice fish to Rich (see fish-in thread for a pic). We also had a few perch which was a very nice surprise, the biggest again to Rich of about two and a hald pounds (we didn't weigh them). It looked huge as it came up through the water and had amazing colours. Great day :) Same again tomorrow!