First fish in 11 years!

OldManGaz

Ok....ok... i've not fished in 11 years but I went out friday with my old tackle and my old methods and caught a lovely, beautiful, gorgeous, stunning little skimmer on my first cast!! I was smiling like a kid at christmas, cant remember having so much fun in ages.

I caught fish all day, roach, plenty more skimmers and two superb carp. One common on pellet at about 6lb and a mirror on triple maggot about 4lb and eventually the tench I was really looking to catch I waggled my way through the day and only left because I ran out of bait.

I fished Aldin Manor lakes near durham after seeing it in the anglers mail last week and can't wait to go back, it was a really beautiful place with farm shop, cafe and tackle shop. Five lakes, including trout lake, match lake and three coarse lakes.

I'm well and truly hooked on fishing again post-25931-0-30550800-1379358081_thumb.jpgpost-25931-0-13686700-1379358091_thumb.jpgpost-25931-0-64633100-1379358096_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one Gaz. I've taken a couple of breaks from fishing before, and the first catch when you come back to it is unforgettable :yahoo:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Welcome back to the fold!!!! It's a great feeling isn't it?

(I took a vacation from angling and was swept back into its spell when I saw a Passion for Angling some twenty years ago now....mind you it was a shock how many things had 'evolved' during that vacation)

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Welcome back to the fold!!!! It's a great feeling isn't it?

(I took a vacation from angling and was swept back into its spell when I saw a Passion for Angling some twenty years ago now....mind you it was a shock how many things had 'evolved' during that vacation)

the magazines and internet, poles, whips, pellets, bollies etc etc scared me half to death, Just glad I can catch fish without starting over, a pint of maggots, rod reel, shot and hooks got me started, felt a bit of a cheat when I tried the pellet bait but by god it worked well.

Hi Gaz - nice to hear you had a great day - you must have literally passed my doorstep to get to Aldin Grange! :D ... good to see a report on the venue that hasn't come from someone with a 'fish-a'chuck' mentality - even with it being so close I've always been put off by reports from the place from people whose only interest seems to be catching what could well have been the same fish, time after time after time - identical, tame fish.

Hi Gaz - nice to hear you had a great day - you must have literally passed my doorstep to get to Aldin Grange! :D ... good to see a report on the venue that hasn't come from someone with a 'fish-a'chuck' mentality - even with it being so close I've always been put off by reports from the place from people whose only interest seems to be catching what could well have been the same fish, time after time after time - identical, tame fish.

Go and give it a go, really nice place, I plan to go again and again

Great stuff Gaz. Great feeling aint it. :clap3:

• Like 1

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

the magazines and internet, poles, whips, pellets, bollies etc etc scared me half to death, Just glad I can catch fish without starting over, a pint of maggots, rod reel, shot and hooks got me started, felt a bit of a cheat when I tried the pellet bait but by god it worked well.

felt the same mate after a 16 year lay off. I am not sure i did it the right way though and although far from giving up it's opened my eyes up a bit :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon