River Medway advice

dansmudge

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dansmudge, I am completely offended that you didn,t acknowledge my helpful response. :P

So offended, that I won,t mention that the River Rother isn,t that far from Tenterden, where Tackle and Gun is a great shop for info, Tel 01580 764851.

The town stretch of the Medway can be a super venue, don,t be put off by a few negative comments. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

quote:

Originally posted by Cranfield:

... the River Rother isn't that far from Tenterden, where Tackle and Gun is a great shop for info, Tel 01580 764851.

The town stretch of the Medway can be a super venue, don't be put off by a few negative comments.

There you go, Dan

Top-drawer advice; I'm redundant now :D

DG

Dan, if you can get a swim try just upstream of the town bridge in Maidstone. Some years there are HUGE shoals of roach and smaller shoals of bream.

Waggler and maggot fed consistently will get the roach coming and it could be "one a chuck"

There are also GOOD roach to be caught at Tonbridge, but you will want a stick float there,

Good luck,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Ok heres just a few tips for the Medway From The Malta Inn ( this is the last lock before it hits sea water) up to and around Yalding.

I hope these help.

RIVER MEDWAY,

MAIDSTONE, KENT.

Free fishing from the MALTA INN up to TOVEL BRIDGE.

The river here holds carp, chub, roach bream,perch and pike.

The best places for the carp are from the MALTA up to maidstone in the summer.

The best winter fishing is behind the court house in maidstone for bags of roach and bream.

Maidstone town bridges for large pike in the winter.

Town centre parking close to river.

EASTFARLEIGH, KENT.

Free fishing here in two parts...

First: from the lock down stream for about 850 yards.

Fish much the same as yalding but with more chance of a carp or barbel.

Up stream from the lock go past the boat morrings then free fishing until you get to the club sign.

Parking at the train station (free) next to the river.

YALDING, KENT.

Free fishing here from the weir up for about 850 yds untill you get to the club sign , then its on a day ticket (on the bank). Bream, roach, perch, pike, chub, barbel and carp the main fish here and vairied methods work here.

Park by the weir out side of the pub.

Winter best for roach to 2lb+ and bream to 9lb+.

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east. With a new look for 2003.

http://www.angelfire.com/pw/thetangler

The Tangler:

Ok heres just a few tips for the Medway From The Malta Inn ( this is the last lock before it hits sea water) up to and around Yalding.

great advice cheers again everyone.

i'm a tenterden boy born and bred so i know maidstone very well and here lies my problem...

i've got this picture in my head of my first river trip involving me sitting by idilic flowing water.. at one with the wildlife and miles from the hustle and bustle of london life.

for me fishing is as much about escaping out to the country as it is about catching fish.

i'm sure there is great fishing in maidstone town centre but i just can't see myself sat outside the law courts being abused by burbery cap wearing youths with the distant rumble of souped-up GTI's racing round the ringroad in the background!

ok, bit of an exaggeration but you get my point.

maybe yalding or tonbridge may fit my daydreaming a bit better?

or am i tarring maidstone with an unfair brush?

cheers

dan

Hi dansmudge

Im afraid is mostly me making bad comments on the river medway. i have fished it many times at yalding and only caught one half decent fish there, however next to yalding bridge is a small feeder river called the lesser tease and walking further up i have spotted a few decent chub but you have to be careful not to spook them.

if you want to fish in a river where you can see the fish and there is more skill and in my opinion fun involved, then try the river darent between shoreham and farningham which is closer to London than the medway, it is near swanley, its only a small river but there is alot of chub there and i have SEEN chub to 5lb plus, the trick is finding them then using stealth and technique!

best of luck!

forgot to mention that the darent is a bloody nice river to fish in, unlike the medway and if your from tenterden have you ever fished the stour in canterbury? i have seen some decent barbel and chub on certain days

cookus

The Medway's not that bad in fact I love fishing it, so much better than the carp puddles etc.

The Yalding area is great too, I've had 2lb plus roach just up from the weir and just below it i've had chub to 4lb ( A friend of mine has had them to over 6lb) bream over 7lb, pike to 20lb plus, perch to 4lb.

The Medway is a great river for fishing but its not an easy one.

PETE.

Fishing in Kent and the south east. With a new look for 2003.

http://www.angelfire.com/pw/thetangler