Sports Direct Fishing Tackle

cannibalspinners

All,

I don't know Sports Direct so my comments will be generalized. I LIKE CHEAP EQUIPMENT. A 2009 review tested rods on a wide set of criteria, including strength, casting accuracy, ergonomics, balance and craftsmanship. Based on technical data and "fish catching" how do you suppose the cheap stuff stacked up against the heavily marketed more expensive stuff.

Reels, with mechanical moving parts, were only slightly different - although longevity or useful life was an issue.

I guess it depends on your "purpose" doesn't it?

Phone

FYI: The "best bang for the buck" was the UglyStik rod and a Penn Fierce reel (combination $35.00)

I like cheap equiptment too,However if it means they use plastic instead of metal etc..., Then that is a fault right away.

Cheap far east imports are terrible , Apparently you can bend the " Sports direct hooks with your bare hands.

Also PHONE , If you read this i am thinking of buying a closed face reel for next season , A good one ( Abu Garcia ).

Do you have much experience with these reels , I would be pleased of any advice you could give , Thanks

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

canni,

I have a half dozen Abumatic 1276 LSi reels. They are equal to the Zebco Omega Pro (my favorite carp reel). If I was coming to England to fish I would bring an Omega Z02, Z03 and an Abumatic 1276LSi. The Abumatic is MUCH bigger and requires a heavier rod for balance. The Abumatic comes spooled with 14 lb line. Omega Z03 10 lb line; Z02 6 lb line. You should really "try" them for feel on a couple of your favorite rods. Our reels don't "balance" well on Euro rods. I would expect to fish with the Omega Z02 80+% of the time.

NOW, having said that. English and American Abu Garcia products are entirely different. I've never owned an English model (don't even know what the ##'s are).

Phone

Cheers Phone ,most helpful ,Top stuff .

Are they well made , Do they last a while.

is the gearing system good in them

1 more thing do they have 2 pins that control the line ,When you wind in

Thanks phone

Canni,

All three of these reels are metal inside and out. No - they don't have two pin pick-up. All three have three pin pick-up .

They are not cheap. $70+ I'd think by now. Last I bought was a couple years ago.

Phone

I bought some hooklinks and the hooks are quite strong. I certainly couldn't bend them on a test rig

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Also PHONE , If you read this i am thinking of buying a closed face reel for next season , A good one ( Abu Garcia ).

Do you have much experience with these reels , I would be pleased of any advice you could give , Thanks

Hi cannibal,

I'm not Phone I'm afraid but I have the reel you are talking about. I can't help with the pin pick-up as I don't know what it is. (If you tell me I will look for you).

The drag it good, you adjust it on the reel handle rather than the back of the reel like on open faced reels and as Phone said they are metal through and through.

I learnt to fish with one so it has been used a fair bit and is in top condition so they last well.

However they are a bit......compact (that's the word I'm looking for I think), if you imagine are winding in and you put your hand on the handle, well for me the handle was not as sticky out if you get what I mean, so I had you keep on looking where the handle was. But that could just be me being picky.

Maximum lb line I would say is 5-6lb.

Overall it's a good reel mate, I recommend it. Hope this helps Jack.

Edited by jack1432

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

I might be jumping the gun, but I think there's a bit of talking at cross purposes with cannibal.

As far as I know Phone prefers a 'spincast' type reel

http://www.basspro.com/Zebco-Omega-Pro-Spincast-Reels/product/10210694/

Whereas I think Jack is talking about Abu closed faced reels. A different animal.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=abu+closed+face+reels+uk&rlz=1C1FLDB_enGB509GB509&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=D8FFUoqDAbKO7QbMyoHoAQ&ved=0CKIBELAE&biw=1280&bih=681&dpr=1

Apologies if I'm wrong.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Oooo haha, sorry cannibal I thought you ment the one gozzer has in the second link.

My bad :)

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

Jack , When you remove the cover on the closed face reel is there 2 small pins either side of the spool , It causes the line to wind back in ,I have not saw 1 for years , thanks for the info though , Cheers !!!!!