A new rod.

Ken L

For us paupers can you give the source and cost of the parts, as long as you are able

Will do.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No worries Dave. With the cold snap and now the rain, the season for chasing chub on lures is over for this year so there's no rush.

Try not to laugh too hard at my efforts...

far from laughing at your efforts Ken, I just hope you're not too disappointed with mine.

I had a little cast with it with a half ounce bomb and it feels very Loomis IMX like. Very steely.

Let me have the postal address and I will take it to the Post Office this week.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

For the paupers out there can I just mention a couple of points.

A home build will probably not be appreciably cheaper than a Chinese shop rod, although the components will probably be better quality.

It is a very addictive hobby as Ken is finding out. You very soon end up with more rods than you can really justify, as I have found out.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Just out of curiosity how much can you get blanks for? The only ones I've ever come across are very expensive, more so than just buying a ready made low to middle of the road rod

The ones I'm using are between £30 an £55 and can be found here.

Addictive? Yes but I've already got one mate asking if I will build him one.

Expensive? I can build four rods of equal quality for the price of importing a replacement for the one I broke, so in that sense, it's cheap.

On the other hand with all the bits to build a rod starting at about £60 and going as high as your pockets are deep, having rod building become a hobby has the potential to get very costly.

Fortunately, I plan on being in SE Asia early next year and have previously seen blanks (Evergreen, Megabass etc) and other quality components available at very reasonable prices.

Of course, I don't have to just do new builds, I have some rather battered but very serviceable old war horses (including the St Croix rod that has landed almost all of my lure caught Mahseer and dozens of big Barramundi) that would benefit from a rebuild. Some new skills to aquire before I start rebuilding rather than just repairing though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'm really interested in this!

I find it really hard to find rods that are exactly what I'm after, even if the blanks ok the rings and or handle are wrong.

I'd love to see how it's done.

I did a little "rod building earlier", I shortened a rod by a few inches (deliberately) to stiffen the action.

Rich