3 years on and no tench

thuramario

this is good stuff, cheers everyone and will keep ya posted.

Unfortunately you are limited by your means of transport(push iron).I suffered the same the same handicap when i was younger.Now though,with the use of a car,i am able to reach the venues that contain predominantly tench and very few 'nuicance' species.I live in Morecambe and i travel to Skelsmergh tarn in Cumbria and the Stainton stretch of the Lancaster canal.This year i have enjoyed some very good tench sessions,the best,at skelsmergh,where i caught about 7 tench to about 8lbs.Baitwise,i have had very good results on the following.Paste,made with;1 part ground hemp,1 part ground halibut pellet,1 part Mainlines Active8 base mix and 1 part Hydro paste.Mix this with a little of the water from where you are fishing and add a splash of Mainlines activator..Fish this over a few handfulls of small halibut pellets and you should get results.I also have caught a few tench using expander pellets soaked in water and a splash of activator.I use these baits as i feel tench,like carp,get used to certain frequently used baits and see them as a danger.Tackle wise,i am quite happy to use 6lb line and a size 10 hook with a small onion float or chyrstal waggler with the hookbait layed on about 3 or 4 inches.Lastly,i very rarely get up later than 3.30 am in the summer to go tench fishing.I know getting up so early can be a pain but,in my experience,sometimes some of the best fishing can be had a couple of hours before sunrise.Hope this helps...Good luck.p.s.If you are really desperate to catch a tench,let me know, and i'll take you to 1 of my venues but be warned,you will have to get up early..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is even dafter but i need your help.

i can no longer post a new topic in anglers net (dont know why) and consequently i cant ask anymore questions (appart from this one as it is still in the same topic). can any other users advise me on how to go about starting a new one.

this is even dafter but i need your help.

i can no longer post a new topic in anglers net (dont know why) and consequently i cant ask anymore questions (appart from this one as it is still in the same topic). can any other users advise me on how to go about starting a new one.

Very odd! You should be able to start a new topic by just clicking the 'New Topic' button on the relevant forum page, cannot imagine why that doesn't work for you. Hopefully someone will come up with the answer shortly....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

i no longer have a new topic action> dont know whats gone wrong, cheers anyway.

got up early on sunday 4.30am. fished for three hours 5.30 - 8.30 in a peg were i saw someone catch a 3lb tench, fished near the reeds, and nothin. used hemp groundbait, and corn, maggot, n castor for the hook. pulled in a little roach on the castor. but am going back till i pull out a tench.

Dont get too sucked in by this "must fish dawn" thing for tench I have found far more tench waters that are better in the evening and just into dark than I have the traditional "dawn" ones.One water Im fishing at the moment is pretty crap till 7 in the morning then seems to fish ok up till miday.

As all are different you really need to do dawn till dusk sessions untill you find which is best on your water.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dont get too sucked in by this "must fish dawn" thing for tench I have found far more tench waters that are better in the evening and just into dark than I have the traditional "dawn" ones.One water Im fishing at the moment is pretty crap till 7 in the morning then seems to fish ok up till miday.

As all are different you really need to do dawn till dusk sessions untill you find which is best on your water.

would you therefore say, fish at dusk and dawn for the biggies

e.g.night fish start at 5pm for the dusk session, change set up at 10 for the silver fish which tend to feed well at night, then at 5am set the big fish set up again till say 9am (a monster session, but believe me i have done an awfull lot longer). does this sound about right?

This may not be what you want to hear, but it sounds to me like there are very few tench in there, and those that are there are fairly nomadic and cagy. I don't think you're doing much wrong - if you keep at it no doubt you'll eventually catch one, but if you fished the same way on a water with lots of tench, I bet you'd catch loads.

Basically, keep trying! And good luck :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If you're in Wigan it's the Leeds/Liverpool canal, possibly the Wigan branch.

There's a good head of Tench in there but they're not easy fish and the water is well stocked with Roach and Bream so you're more likely to catch those species.

Fishing dawn or dusk is essential but at this time of year the Tench will have spawned and won't be shoaled in large groups so you've got your work cut out for you!

Try pre baiting a spot for a few nights and using a large lobworm for bait on a bigger hook - size eight. That should get you past the Roach.

Failing that you may want to think about trying another water in the area, Horrocks Flash is stuffed with them!

If you're in Wigan it's the Leeds/Liverpool canal, possibly the Wigan branch.

There's a good head of Tench in there but they're not easy fish and the water is well stocked with Roach and Bream so you're more likely to catch those species.

Fishing dawn or dusk is essential but at this time of year the Tench will have spawned and won't be shoaled in large groups so you've got your work cut out for you!

Try pre baiting a spot for a few nights and using a large lobworm for bait on a bigger hook - size eight. That should get you past the Roach.

Failing that you may want to think about trying another water in the area, Horrocks Flash is stuffed with them!

not to keen on the flash, dont know when you last fished it but there is a bed of weed about a foot thick on the pond floor, dont know how to overcome fishin on this terain. but yeah, i heard they are in there, so will give it a go regardless. any hints n tips for weedy bed floor, i feel my bait is lost in the weed?