Using 'cheap' braid - any thoughts?

philocalist

Just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts about using the cheaper non-name braids that are available very simply and cheaply via Ebay. No doubt there will be the expected caveat about losing 'the fish of a lifetime', but I'm wondering whether anyone on here has actually used this stuff and is totally happy with it?

In fairness, I'm likely to be using the stronger breaking strains, likely maybe 10KG's upwards, for lure work, or for pike fishing, rather than the very fine stuff for routine float or feeder work, though I'd not discount that possibility.

Typical of the sort of stuff I'm talking about is this, available in a wide range of colours:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350613803316?var=620065819578&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I suspect that someone knowing more than I do is going to point out that all braids are made in the same place, or something similar, in which case is the price difference simply down to things like quality control - or are we just paying a premium price for brand names out of ignorance?

I'm particularly interested curious about the 8-strand stuff that is starting to appear, as the brand-name products seem to be very highly thought-of - with prices to match!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-STRONG-8-STRANDS-SPECTRA-DYNEEMA-BRAID-FISHING-LINE-500M-50LB-BLK-/350904386883?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=JTGD391bMcmKF98Ue%252Fj59JS75j4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Philo I have that very one on my Pike rods but it is the sinking type [see on spool ] and no issues to date I bought some other cheap braid in yellow for the drop shot rod in 19lb break and that floats like a cork same diam as diawa sensor in 6lb and ubber easy to see no probs whatsoever on the pin to date with it .#

I did buy some cheap yellow 4lb test braid that was useless snapped like cottom with little or no pressure so buy higher break than you would normally and it is fine imo...yellow is very easy to see in bright and dark conditions ....just make sure it`s a floating braid Steve

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Been a long time braid user and tried several types.With ALL braids (but it seems especially the cheap ones) there is a huge variation in quality.This is basically the quality of the braiding and therefore its resulting profile and diameter.

If you can find a cheap braid that you like then great but these days I tend to stick to a couple of time proven favourites.These dont unfortunately fall into the "cheap" range but its really a bit daft as most base "cheap" on the initial purchase price.I base it on how long the braid lasts. Better braids last longer simple as that. You wont go far wrong with Power Pro, Spiderwire Original (hard to source these days) or even (believe it or not !) some of the Fox braids (both their Driftmaster and Trollmaster braids are excellent with Horizon not being to bad either) I have some regularly used braid that has still not been reversed after over 15 years of regular (Winter) use! Now I reckon if you take into acount that you would be changing mono each season the "cost per year" works out well in the favour of braid (good braid).

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Golden rule with braid isd to allways select it in a similar size diameter to the diameter of the lbs breaking strain mono you would have used for the same job ie if you use 15lb mono for piking this has a diameter of around 0.35mm so chose a braid with a sim,ilar diameter regardless of the breaking strain.Reason for this is that you then avoid all the common "problems" with handling and abbrasion resistance that people who choose by breaking strain do.

so buy higher break than you would normally and it is fine imo

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

First braid I used years ago, dyneema, lasted a few years rough and tumble, received 500m of the same from hong kong for peanuts and it's exactly the same, round and appears to be thinner. Well happy with it. Now where do the branded names get theirs from I have to ask?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Golden rule with braid isd to allways select it in a similar size diameter to the diameter of the lbs breaking strain mono you would have used for the same job ie if you use 15lb mono for piking this has a diameter of around 0.35mm so chose a braid with a sim,ilar diameter regardless of the breaking strain.Reason for this is that you then avoid all the common "problems" with handling and abbrasion resistance that people who choose by breaking strain do.

And has the added bonus of being I think 65lb on the Pike reels /may even be 80 but pulling to straighten hooks on bait rigs that are snagged is much easier and ergo safer for fish .

I did have some rubbish cheap stuff as I said but as much to do with low breaking strain tiny thickness as quality I suspect...plus a nightmare for wind knots in the low BS braid

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

i'm using 8 strand Power Pro (Pp super 8 slic) for trotting thesedays ,its casts smoother than fireline and quieter ,original Pp was five strand which grated as it went through stand off rings ,inparticular single leg rings this was due too its profile .by adding the extra strands into the twist the profile is more rounded and smoother.and it comes in a veriety of colours .not so readily available or as cheap as the standard Pp but worth seeking out

like budgie says don't just go for the thinnest available ,try too match diametre wise what mono you'd usually use .I also use braid (when for trotting at least) with a mono hooklink (hooks-2-nylon) of a 1lbs or so less b/s

there is another danger with thin braid ,the so called "cheese wire effect" ,so if your using really extra fine braid a little extra precaution is needed if you was too target say barbel who are prone too roll on the line during the playing of them ,in this senario a longish mono leader might be required

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Like Steve, I use that stuff off ebay on my static pike rods. Casts great. Its a touch less refined than the branded stuff, but as Barry says it probably all comes from the same factories in China. I've also got thinner 15llb on my dropshot rig - not probs at all. Not I've caught anything on it yet - but the rig performs great!

M

Like Steve, I use that stuff off ebay on my static pike rods. Casts great. Its a touch less refined than the branded stuff, but as Barry says it probably all comes from the same factories in China. I've also got thinner 15llb on my dropshot rig - not probs at all. Not I've caught anything on it yet - but the rig performs great!

M

I know a spot likely to rectify that fact Matthew and now boat traffic has died we should give it a go maybe next weekend

M

A lot of cheap things comes from the same factory ( clothes,shoes etc etc) as expensive ones but that doesn't mean it's all as good quality. They're made to different standards/qualities to order.

I'm not saying your cheaper braid isn't as good as the expensive brands but I wouldn't lump them all in the same class even if they do actually come from the same factory.....that means nothing.