TSFSC (homeless branch)

mike edelvyz

Well, I don't want to be here! I don't wanna be in any forum. I don't wanna be stuck in front of me Pc!!! :mad:

Sue me, sue you...what a life in cyberspace!!!

I just wanna go fishing!!!!!! :( ahem....

Ok, got that off my chest too spasor. :P

Now if you would allow me to get back to the subject of something fishee that I have always enjoyed.

The Anticipation of Catching Fish.

Just to say that I have finally decided to load both spools of my Abu Elites with 0.30 12lb Penn Super Long Distance Surf that I had lying around.

I have taken the precaution of not filling it up to the top, leaving about 3mm of gap probably to the rim.

Maximum distance is precisely what I'm after, hoping to maybe pushing it 30m further than my normal 0.35mm dia line max distance. Most anglers normally use 0.35 to 0.40 on clean beaches like this. I have tried 0.30mm once before, and I had no problems with birdnest, though I had to be very cautious. Guess it was because I had filled it right up to the rim. I'll test it out first as I may have to strip a bit more line off.

The place I am fishing on Saturday is Dungeness and is reknown for cod. But only a handful of anglers ever catch them I am told. Proficient anglers who cast well.

My casting instructor back then told me the secret is that, they can reach the fish where others fail. Cod packs follow the whiting shoals inshore to feed. If you can't cast over the shoals of small whiting, the cod won't have a chance of getting to the bait as the pesky whiting will make a feast of it.

Hence, I am using desperate measures to gain me a bit more distance, though it is no guarantee as the cod maybe even be beyond my smoothest pendulum. At least it's the best option I can think off.

Baits will also have to be hugh, lots of lugworm(3 to a 4/0 hook tipped off with squid) on each side of the wishbone rig, so it looks like 1 hugh bait when it falls together. Give the cod the chance to pick up the scent and take the bait before the whiting strips it bare. Bloody beggars those whiting! But they'll be no cod around without them, hm...

4/0 hooks so that at least if a whiting gets hooked on one of them, there is at least 1 bare hook and hopefully 2, waiting to hook the cod if it decides to take the whiting along with the worm bait too. This the rig that accounted for the 18lb 2oz cod landed by a friend.

Well, will let you know how things go. I'm always learning and testing it out with all I can muster. Any additional suggestions before I hit the beach will be most appreciative?

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Happy fishing guys. :)

thongy

Bite alarms, carp rods, baitrunners, and braid. Great for big bass on beach. I'm bringing my sofa next .....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the bait too damp for PVA? If not, I'd imagine the streamlining effect of a bag would allow for a little more distance on the cast.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I tried the PVA string and bag route a few years back and found that the juices of practically every bait we use beach casting disolves the bag / string before you get to cast it, a long streamlined bait like a string of lug on a pennel rig will give you better distances than say a whole squid with head.

[ 13. December 2002, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: mike edelvyz ]

Andrew Thong:

. :)

There used to be (40 years ago)a dip/trough/hollow about 60 yards out, possibly less as we were using wooden reels, that produced loads of Cod and Sole at the appropriate times.

Just aim for the power station (is it still there?)

Newt should not be scoffed at with his idea of PVA bags and string, the temperature is the key not the moisture. PVA bags disolve a different temperatures depending on there thickness.

Keep the bait bloody cold, dry off as much as you can, double up on the bags, prick them loads of times to let the air out, now quickly put your baited hook (lead as well if you can) in the bags, tie em off and cast out. EVERYTHING has to be ready for a quick bag up and cast including dry hands.

Inovation not replication springs to mind

Hope you have a good catch.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Ok, I've had time to digest this thread, a few facts, The adverage thread on this forum is less than 15 replies we now equal 44 of davey holts "ok what do you think" the majority of the replies made by former TSF forum users have been generated by alans attack on a new poster, of over 3000 members very few use the sea angling forum on this site, is it possible that the resident regulars could possibly be putting them off with the " you will do as I ask attitude?"

I am a member of several forums to which I am proud of, one of which is owned by ELTON, In my years on the net I have contributed to several angling based forum based charities in the aid of good causes this is without any doubt the first time my motives have been questioned for being part of a forum and the first time I have been told I will leave without doing anything for its benefit.

My question is simple, why should any individual weither a "old member" or a new one have the right to question a persons motive and presence on a forum when the whole point of forums is having the ability of personal option to join in or not?"

mike edelvyz:

I tried the PVA string and bag route a few years back and found that the juices of practically every bait we use beach casting disolves the bag / string before you get to cast it, a long streamlined bait like a string of lug on a pennel rig will give you better distances than say a whole squid with head.

Best bet would be to source some thicker PVA and make your own bags - I have been approached by various companies in the past and you can buy huge rolls of PVA for very little.

Just don't store it outside :D

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE