Berry season

It's berry season; good natural and free baits just waiting to be picked. The trouble is storing them without turning them into mush, and I've found freezing them does just that.

Does anyone know of an effective ways of storing elderberries and the like? And who else uses berries for bait and which berries are good for which fish?

elderberries....ahh i remember using these on the canal where the trees overhung on the water. the roach and skimmers absolutely loved them! I don't know about storage, I just take a bait box and pick them as i'm walking to my peg :)

elderberries....ahh i remember using these on the canal where the trees overhung on the water. the roach and skimmers absolutely loved them! I don't know about storage, I just take a bait box and pick them as i'm walking to my peg :)

Was thinking of giving elderberries a go as its a long time since i last fished with them.(about 20 years ago on the Lea)

Would agree with Dan Dan just collect them on the day.

Was thinking of giving elderberries a go as its a long time since i last fished with them.(about 20 years ago on the Lea)

Would agree with Dan Dan just collect them on the day.

I was feeding blackberries to chub and dace yesterday as I walked my dog along side the river Arrow. the dace came for them first but then the chub pushed them out.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Leave the berries on the stalk and keep them in the fridge. They should last a few days.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

It's berry season; good natural and free baits just waiting to be picked. The trouble is storing them without turning them into mush, and I've found freezing them does just that.

Does anyone know of an effective ways of storing elderberries and the like? And who else uses berries for bait and which berries are good for which fish?

A few years ago i was carpfishing a local lake and i noticed chestnuts falling from an overhanging tree into the water.Immediately after the chestnuts had fallen into the water there were large ripples,indicating that fish were feeding on them.This inspired me,I walked around to the tree and collected a handful of the chestnuts from the ground where they had fallen.I returned to my peg and mounted one of the chestnuts on to a hair rig with a size 6 hook and cast it out under the tree.I couldn't believe it,after only a minute or so my alarm gave a couple of bleeps,i struck and at first i thought i'd missed it,until,that is,i got it to the rim of my net,then i saw it...It was an absolute conker...Hahahahahahah....Sorry about that,i'll get me coat.

I've caught roach and chub on them, but prefer to use tares instead. Similar size, similar colour, cheap enough, can be used all year round, and I've found them more effective.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John