Firewall v's FTP server issues

Steve Randles

I'm trying to access an FTP server of my friends, I have my own user name and password, and a path to where I have access. When my Norton Firewall is disconnected I can connect no trouble at all..I'm basically straight in..

As soon as I raise the firewall again, I lose the connection.

I have read up on the symantec site that I should attempt to create an access rule by entering the FTP address in my browser..as this should create an alert from Norton ..and from there I could create an access rule. Only problem is it does not do this..all it does is give me an error message stating that windows could not access this folder or that I dont have permnission to enter the drive.

I have contatced Norton Technical support and am awaiting a response from them on this isuue.

I wonder if anyone can help me here?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Its possible that you may have to tell your firewall to open a specific port address to allow access to FTP.

Presuming that you are using Norton Internet Security, if you open the control panel, go to options, click the Firewall tab, you should see a dialogue box to add a port address.

Now all you need to know is which address you need to add.

Sorry, but I cant help you with that one!

FTP needs ports 20 & 21 open to FTP traffic if he uses a standard setup.

What is possibly happening is that you try to connect, the FTP server tries to do it's part, the port it wants to use isn't open. Boom. No connection.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yep its not quite standard....Its port 81...one of the lesser used http ports..

It is Norton Firewall I'm using and I have extensively trawled my way through the symantec DB to find a cure for this...but untill they answer me I think I'm stuck.

I can connect when firewall is down..but not when its up...and I have tried every which way and setting to enable me to access the server...

This one has me stumped...but I aint a quitter... :D

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Try setting your FTP software to use "passive" mode FTP.

When you use this all the communication goes over the one outgoing connection you create when logging on, and so it can often fix firewall related problems

Mat

Mat

Thanks Mat..It always runs in passive..for everything I use the ftp client for...the problem is with configuring Norton Firewall to allow it to be used..ie connect to my mates server..

Focal Planet

Best solution would be to uninstall Symantec firewall (dog poo IMHO) and download Kerio Personal Firewall from www.kerio.com. Kerio Personal Firewall was formerly known as Tiny Personal Firewall.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote