annoying pop ups

nursejudy

I have installed Kerio firewall on newts advice ...fine ,I have th eGoogle tool bar complete with pop up blocker

all has been fine till last few days when I'm being bombarded with pop ups,they all say internet explorer across the top,they eithe rpop up or I notice a liitle box with an E in it on the bottom of the screen ,like when you have minimised a window.Sometimes on the Kerio shield (down where the connection little boxes are)a yellow rectangle appears ,what have I done? or can i make them go away

thanks as always

judy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

It sounds to me as if you may have picked up some of the more vicious forms of spyware (I believe the techies refer to it as malware). It is actually bringing up another site in a new, minimised window, or else trying to get you to click on a message that will probably install a dialer on your machine. A combination of AVG (or similar) and Spybot Search and Destroy ought to nail them though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Well blow me down with a feather, you must have been looking inside my head..I have just restored my computer and cleared out load of files in doing so I lost my popup thing and couldn't remember where I had got it in the first place, you have just answered my query BLOWSEARCH that's the one I had...cheers mate

blackvelvet

You could try this program Mozilla FireFox, available to download here http://texturizer.net/firefox/ its a lot better than I.E and its the best popup stopper as well as being a replacement for the dreaded I.E that comes with MS :)

I've been using it a while now ands can honestly say that it is excellent at stopping popups of all types, the only draw back is you have to use I.E to updates windows :(

Once you get it all set up and running how you want it to, i can bet you wont go back to I.E

Judith - what OS?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Don't know what was happening last night but my pop up blocker was going mad, getting hit on quite a few sites that i was visitng????

just one more cast then I'am off home