Kayack fishing....record catches in UK

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Doh! And i thought the hardest part was done!

A few more questions then?

Wetsuit, booties and sweat vest?

Do i need a wetsuit or is it optional? If ineed it , what thickness? Are the booties just for wading? And what is a sweat vest? :confused:

Suncream in Sunderland? You jest? :D

And the beer crate. Empty for storage or full for refreshment? :D

(I'm only joking about the last two before anyone gives me an ear bashing about safety :D )

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Geoff,

Its only just begun :D

The wetsuit is a personal choice realy, I look at it like this,in the early and late season,when the sea is cooler,and the weather a bit slack, the added protection of the suit is a bonus, plus the added bouyancy if you go over.

When we say wet suit, we mean a Farmer John, like a pair of high waist trousers with shoulder straps.No jacket.

The Booties also are personal choice, an old pair of trainers will do, its a comfort thing realy.

A sweat vest, is the same as a sweat shirt, but when you get wet, or sweat, it will take the moisture away from your skin, leaveing you warm and dry.You can speak to someone in the paddle shops about them.

Forgot, wet suit thickness, 4/5m is plenty.

A dry cag is a good idea too,get one that breathes. The cag will protect you from wind and wet.

Beer crate, as full of beer as you can get it, :D

The Sun Block is a good idea.

If you have a Kayak/Canoe shop near you, pop in and have a word, most are happy to help you.They can also give you sound advice on exactly what to buy,for( Sit On Top Kayaking.)

Have fun,.......oh and hide the reciepts :D

Catch you later Geoff

Yakity. :)

[ 11. September 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

i use a 3/2mm heat oniell wetsuit...the thickness of my old 4mm and its tightness meant long paddles were out of the window (your arms are held down by the wetsuit when its tight and thick)...the new one is great, but you do have to pay quite a bit for the super stretchyness, which i think is a real bonus for any sort of distance. I dont know about drybags though.

As far as wearing it...well its normally mid summer in rash vest and shorts (rash vest for sun protection more than anything)...spring/autumn its on with the suit....but im toasty warm in it. I also use a ski bouyancy jacket from oneill as well...that adds a layer of warmth as well and gives you room to swing your arms about. Its not a life jacket but it does the job as long as your still concious.

Hi GF.

Suit sounds good.Is that open cell, or sharkskin(lined)

I used to use a 3mm open cell, very warm, but a bitch to get on.

Been looking at a dry bag for the winter, but are they ever pricey.

May have to wear the one Ive got and put up with cold test-tike-alls :D:D

Looking at some Flounder bashing over the winter months, be a bit of fun.

Did you manage to test your drift wieght??

Later.

YY :)

nah...silly speed westerley was running amok all day...i'd have needed 30lb !

dunno what my type of suit is...went to a friend of a friends shop and asked for something stretchy and something he could do a "deal" on

http://www.oneill.com/index.php?func=catal...product_id=0521

thats a link...its got a sort of fleecy chest panel inside...so i think the majority of it is shark skinned.

Flounder bashing sounds like a good idea...but its always so cold when we go because we have to wait for a cold snap to drive the crabs off into deep water. I'll probably be land based by then

Yakity,

Use to wear a dry suit windsurfing years ago, nasty things, you sweat, they heat up and inflate, then you have to expel some air or look like the Michelin Man, better off sticking to the kayak gear, Cag and maybe overtrousers which can be bought to match.

On the wetsuit side of things, double lined will give you a harder wearing suit, easier to grip when putting on but the water remains on the surface and cools quickly making you colder, this is fine in Spring, Summer and Autumn.

Winter or Spring if still cold you will need to go with a Smooth skin these are incredibly warm, water runs off so there is no wind chill factor, but they will tear easily if not treated properly.

And yes wetsuits do shrink, sounds a bit odd, but the neoprene if not stretched regularly by wearing will shrink.

I wear a 2/3 shortie with a rash vest during the summer months, 3mm double lined when it gets a bit cooler and a 4/5 really stretchy one piece little number in the Winter, I have yet to buy a cag, maybe this year.

SM

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Chaps,

It isn't just the Prowler 13 which is new, there is a fishing version of the Caper as well, so that makes 4 Angling versions, full specs at:

http://www.oceankayak.com/anglers.html

Guess they must have followed my instructions on AnglersAfloat to get those flush mounts to fit :D:D:D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Gents - hopefully you will all know I'm not picking on Kayak Posters but based on recent problems with the forum's availability and on a couple of comments by Elton Here I'm asking that Kayak posts proceed like most other topics where there is a topic, folks say what they want about it, and then it sorta fades into the archives.

This one, for instance, started about Record Catches from Kayaks and has morphed a few times to something totally different.

Based on the 'weight' of the kayak threads (lots of pictures and such-like) I'm going to lock them when they move past 5 pages in length. Since it will be hard to tell exactly when the thread will jump from 5 to 6 pages, maybe best to post a new topic well before that point.

Please note that this is not anti-kayak (and I enjoy these threads) but is pro-forum.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President