Kayack fishing....record catches in UK

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,.....me again,

Dont know if you remember, Al and I asked the commitee of a comp we fish every year, if we could enter on the Yaks, as they have a boat section in the comp.

Sadly we have been turned down.

The only reason was, that we fish alone on the Yak, and thier rules state two people per boat minimum.

For obvious reasons, safety.

We respect thier descision and can see the sence in it.

But on a brighter side, some of the commitee and club members are very interested and would like us to show them the Yaks, and have a chat.

So you never know we may have some new Yakfisherman soon.

YY :)

[ 09. September 2004, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

Yakity - Yak:

Out riggers on a lake or flat sea would be a good aid to standing while fishing. But it wouldnt be practical to use them in rough

seas. The riggers would play havoc with the Yak body, due to the stresses put upon it by the lifting and dipping of the wave action.

Would rip out of the Yak in no time. Or certainly cause some real damage. They would infact be dangerous in rough conditions and affect the paddlers ability to control the Yak.

The exact rig shown probably wouldn't do well in rough water.

As to the rest, the nice folk from Hawaii and a few other places have been using outriggers to stabalize their ocean going, sit-in (basically indian style) craft for quite a few hundred years so I wonder about them being unsuitable for rough water.

Might be a matter of using a longer outrigger and basically attaching it to the entire body of the craft so there is no attachment point to cause a problem.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think i have learnt more in this post than on all those sights put together.

Am definatley leaning towards the prowler 13 now and am going to look for as many reviews as possible.

I have even begun broaching the subject to wife!

Of course she says no, but she has said no to every bit of tackle i've ever suggested and my 'fishing cupboard' is still groaning under stress, so she isn't the boss of me(I wish :rolleyes: )!

Will you post any pictures you get from the show? i' be very grateful

Cheers everyone! :)

Hi Newt,

Nice pic,flat calm I see :D

As for the nice people from Hawaii, what material are thier Yaks made from, bet it wasnt pollyurethine a 100 years ago,nor today.

I think most of those guys use double or more paddlers in a craft??, although not sure.

One of the biggest issues with the riggers is handleing a Yak in rough water, movements and corrections need to be quick and deliberate to maintain position in the surf, the riggers would not allow this.

Nice idea though.

Cheers.

Yakity. :)

You might ask the AOCRA (Australian Outrigger Canoe Racing Association) folks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Geoff,

Glad you have found this thread helpful.

That 13 has got your fancy eh,.....ehhhh :D

This will seem a very long winter for you :D waiting for the Yak.

Still, you could start getting your other kit together, in readyness.

Things like.

Paddle.

Paddle leashe.

Personal Floatation Device.

Hat.

Loud whistle.

Waterproof torch.

Wet suit.

Booties.

Sweat vest.

Drink bottle.

Small 1st aid kit.

Sun block :D

Beer crate.

Cooler.

Compass.

Sharp knife.

Anchor.

Rope and cord.

Etc,

That will ease the pain :D

Later.

YY :)

:D

just a little flippant note on the "olive drab"...yes its not visible and its not the choice for safety or visibiliy (in fact nor is the green...people spot my mate and sometimes never see me)...but around poole harbour having olive drab as your colour scheme can give you a certain amount of, erm, "privacy"...those in the know, know what i mean and why

You could always wear bright clothing anyway.

Just out of interest, does anyone know of any paint that works on the ocean kayaks...?

[ 10. September 2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: gonefishing ]

Hi GF,

Cockle shell heroes :D:D:D

The paint thing could be a problem, there are lots of products out there but in the sea would be a real test.

Go for the worn look, shows gritt and determination :D .

Are you out in the surf this weekend??

Looks a bit grim on the forcast, may go up the river for some Flounder, then again may play in the shed.....umm.

Yakity :)

[ 10. September 2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]