Are we responsible?

The Flying Tench

No I'd go along with that, but there may be a lot of our "self" that we do not control, even if we think we do.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just find the area of research fascinating.

I'm not sure how much of it we control at all, in the sense of being consciously aware of it. I wonder if our perception of our conscious thought is just equivalent to the machine reading its own console output and feeding it back into the program - are we able to observe our own thought processes as if they were not part of us, or are we just observing what we thought after the event?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people have to confirm the observation for it to be a fact

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm not sure how much of it we control at all, in the sense of being consciously aware of it. I wonder if our perception of our conscious thought is just equivalent to the machine reading its own console output and feeding it back into the program - are we able to observe our own thought processes as if they were not part of us, or are we just observing what we thought after the event?

I don't know, I suspect that your subconscious mind understands the difference between right and wrong, but that's just a suspicion, not a belief nor an opinion. I don't understand enough about the subject to make any kind of informed opinion.

I think it's a bad idea to try to make analogies between brains and electronic computers though.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

How many people have to confirm the observation for it to be a fact

One. Science is not a democracy.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

An excellent point!

So what does Dawkins say on the subject in that book? Does he see choice as an illusion?

An excellent point!

So what does Dawkins say on the subject in that book? Does he see choice as an illusion?

In a nutshell Dawkins advances from a position of human (and that of other srecies) behaviour being dictated by genes, and the genes will induce us to do what is best for them, not necessarily for the individual...here is a summary...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene

If you really want to get your teeth into the philosophy of punishment. then I recommend Michel Foucault, start with Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison (1975)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline_and_Punish#Punishment

I'm not one of those who believe everything in 'Wiki' but those links sum things up.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Father Christmas does not exist. :)

It's 50:50 that he does ;)

I'm not one of those who believe everything in 'Wiki' but those links sum things up.

No one should believe anything from any single source. One should do one's own research. Wiki is a good place to start though. Good entries will cite other reading.

One should not believe anything from any source

You cannot research anything second hand you are depending on the opinion being correct in the first place and basing your opinion on that ,unless you see the raw data yourself and know firstly its true ,unbiased and complete ,see how its collected and the instruments used and how they collect it ,then from start to finish see and agree every stage is also completed without bias and complete then see the final paper you cannot even start to base your opinion on anything.

Too many people merely except any nonsence without question and ex ept it as true

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think it's a bad idea to try to make analogies between brains and electronic computers though.

Meant as more of a metaphor than an analogy - to suggest that perhaps the mind cannot see what it is thinking, but can see what it has thought.