Drop shot issues

grayson

I am a new convert to dropshotting and have had 4 or 5 sessions. The first thing I learned was to ignore all the nonsense about it being a selective method which catches perch and that mono hooklengths are OK. Not so - I have had a number of pike (nothing big - to 8lbs or so but have lost at least one double). So I am using wire traces and find the 49 strand (or is it 39 ?) stuff ok , if not as good as the knottable Kevlar I have tried. Great stuff but horrendously expensive - any suggestions for knottable pike proof leaders?

Second point is re rigs - I use the Palomar knot which is fine - but wonder whether I may be missing a trick.I use the Duo rig extensively in fly fishing ( nymph tied on short length of nylon to a dry fly which acts as indicator )and it occurs to me that if I make up a conventional trace with hook at end (and tied on normally ) I could easily knot a short length of mono to hook (by shank like the Duo or using the eye ) and then to the weight. Anhybody tried this?

Talking of leads- I have used the recommended drop shot leads and cannot for the life of me think what they add that a normal weight doesn't ? Apart from profits to dropshot lead sellers. I may be missing something - am I ?

Thoughts welcome .

I'll leave the 'knots' issue to someone else, but with respect to the weights - spot on! No reason at all to buy dedicated 'drop shot' weights (IMHO).

A tip: get hold of some thin lead sheeting and cut it into narrow long strips according to the weight that you need. A hole through one end with a highly technical implement (such as a nail!) will then allow you to tie through there a simple loop of heavy nylon / braid etc, to which you can then simply attach your main line - I'd advise this route rather than attaching the main line directly, as the hole produced by the nail is less than perfectly smooth and may well cause snap-offs at the knot if you were to tie on directly with a relatively light main line.

BEFORE use, roll up the lead strip to form a 'Catherine Wheel' type shape - IF the lead now becomes lodged anywhere and you can apply steady GENTLE tension on the line, the lead will usually straighten out and release, saving the loss of end tackle ... works well for many disciplines, not just drop-shotting! :fish:

Your question about alternative leaders / traces (to wire) is going to re-open what has been a long-running disagreement on-site :D

The only real option you have is fluorocarbon of an appropriate breaking strain - in reality, for it to be properly effective against the teeth of a pike, it NEEDS to be of a substantial B/S; under the circumstances (i.e. drop shotting) you are almost certainly better of sticking with the finest, most supple wire you can lay hands on - a combination of the safety / resistance to teeth, of wire, and the 'user friendliness' of mono / fluoro is a bit of a Holy Grail amongst many serious predator anglers.

Edited by philocalist

Re wire I personally have never caught a perch while drop shotting or bait fishing with a wire trace. (I have conventional) lure fishing. On a couple of waters I tried the method (for Perch) I just gave up as all I did was get pike after pike with many many bite offs as well....and very few Perch! Once the wire was put on I was just pike fishing!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A tip: get hold of some thin lead sheeting and cut it into narrow long strips according to the weight that you need. A hole through one end with a highly technical implement (such as a nail!) will then allow you to tie through there a simple loop of heavy nylon / braid etc, to which you can then simply attach your main line

Just a heads-up, and definitely not being preachy, but if you make weights like this out of lead they are illegal if less than 1 ounce in weight.

Talking of leads- I have used the recommended drop shot leads and cannot for the life of me think what they add that a normal weight doesn't ? Apart from profits to dropshot lead sellers. I may be missing something - am I ?

It is quite handy to be able alter the depth easily but you can buy swivel links which do the same thing but allow you to attach 'normal' leads.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Just a heads-up, and definitely not being preachy, but if you make weights like this out of lead they are illegal if less than 1 ounce in weight.

Fair comment Steve - had never even given that particular issue thought! Might have to take a shuftie around the local crafts place, see what alternatives might be on offer - I know they do some strip stuff for making up faux lead windows, which is fairly dense / heavy, but not lead.

Fair comment Steve - had never even given that particular issue thought! Might have to take a shuftie around the local crafts place, see what alternatives might be on offer - I know they do some strip stuff for making up faux lead windows, which is fairly dense / heavy, but not lead.

Phil, do you know anyone who works in MIG welding? If, so try and get a collection of old knackered tips, they are made from copper. I often use copper mig tips as leger weights, and I think they will fit your needs.

Which reminds me, my stock is running low, and I might have to call on a few old mates, and 'relive' old times.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This is what I allways loved about AN and sadly don't see enough of these days! Great shout John and although I wont be using them for Drop Shot weights they will make great weights for plastic worms as I will be able to thread them on "in line" through the bore!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

To be fair, I reckon the chances of being caught and prosecuted are negligible, but it's something to be aware of.
  • Like 1