Ban Gill Nets?

ColinBond

whats miss Nets been up to then :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hello Colin.

I think we should point out the difference between legal and illegal nets? Licenses for gill netting have been around for hundreds of years. This type of license was handed down from father to son. As such, the holders netted their beat and observed all the local and national laws.

The problem we have now, bares no resemblance to those folk that have a license and observe their restrictions!!

It really p888es me off! When I get on a charter boat and am asked to watch out for the illegal nets whilst still inshore. When I ask why I can`t just slash the bouys off? I`m rightly told it`s because of safety.

Also these charter skippers have to live with these gangsters. I often meet them in fishing pubs around the coast, and what do you say to them? They have a right to feed their famillies!!

If the fisheries inspectorate actually had funds to take their boats to sea, we wouldn`t have a problem!!

If the fines for illegal netting were really drastic ( loss of vessel plus a £5-10,000 fine) then maybe it would be less attractive. But if your father-in-law is on the local bench. What fine can you expect?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi Paul,

Yes, illegal nets must be the first priority, but there is a view that legal nets should be controlled to an extent. Legal nets 50 yards off the beach, in my view, should not be acceptable.

Colin.

on another vein , lots of "british" boats have in reality foreign owners ( usually because the british owner couldnt make enough money and sold the boat) when the decomissioning saga comes around instead of just picking willy nilly the boats (i have no idea how it works) why cant the foreign owned but british regestered boats be picked first :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ColinBond:

Do you support this?  Click link for details. Ban Gill Nets

Hi Colin/all,

as most of you know I was once a commercial fisherman including inshore and offshore netting.

I agree that ALL forms of netting should be banned, not only the inshore ones, these nets are destroying fish stocks, period.

The NFSA letter featured here is not quite correct though, although well intended.

"Minimum mesh sizes are correlated to minimum landing sizes". A 6inch mesh net will allow a lot (not all)of the smaller fish through and are aimed at the bigger fish which are worth twice the money and require half the work, gutting etc.

A 4 inch mesh will catch the smaller fish (poor prices) but will hardly ever catch the bigger fish. Keep in mind that these are gill nets used for Cod, Bass, Pollack etc as opposed to tangle nets for flat fish.

My first boat was just under 10 meters (inches under)and I know that the 20,000 meters of net mentioned, including end weights/anchors, tops (marker rope) and marker bouys would have overturned my boat when they were dry and would have sunk it when wet (including weed and fish).

Illegal inshore netters would just not have the time (darkness hours)to run that many nets,clean them, get them hidden ashore and tend there catch.

I salute the NFSA for there efforts in banning these nets but think they should get there facts right first.

I expect Leon and co will be on this tipic soon with all the links leading to what to do if you see nets close to the shore or on the surface at low tide.

Good luck and tight lines.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• 3 weeks later...