sot versus sit in

kelvindavies11

Sit On Tops *generally* provide a higher degree of stabilty than a Sit In Side and are probably safer when fishing. If you fall off a sit on top it is easier to get back on in deeper water. Also, in shallow areas its easy to wade with a SitOnTop - you can hop back on. With any hatches down, its very hard to sink a sit on top. Its easier to sink a sit in side.

Thats not to say you can't use a Sit In Side for fishing but a higher proportion go for the sit on tops. If you go for a sit in side you would have to budget for training (eg learn how to do eskimo rolls, techniques to get back onto yak in deep water etc).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

You would also have to budget for buying a sit-on-top in a few weeks when you are fed up with banging your elbows on the cockpt coaming trying to fish.

Sitons are the best for fishing because of their open cockpit - practicality. Expedition kayaks are sit ins because all they are being used for is as a conveyance. The Innuit use a sit in Kayak to harpoon seals and fish from - but they are using hand lines to fish and the kayak is generally used to get from the ice to the floe ice where they can hunt the seals. They don't actually hunt or fish FROM their kayak - it is just a ferry.

Sit ons are now being designed for expedition use as they are so versatile and can cope with the extremes just as well as a traditinal sit in - with spray decks available to cover the cockpit and create a sit in/on hybrid!

Don't get a sit in - it will put you off kayak fishing - bloody nuisance to get your gear out, and to use it - take it from me, I used to fish from a sit in kayak back in the 70s - nothng like these sit ons. A right fiddle faddle and arsey to be truthful.

Save up, bide your time and egt a good one. You can get the Scrambler XT for under £400 new. That will last you 10 years with care (or put another way, about a charter trip per year!)

You might even be able to pick one used - or an ex demo perhaps if you ask about. Nextr year i bet there will be some model changes - look out for an "end of line" bargain - this years kayak which is being phased out in favour of the new model. They get sold off cheap. Just a thought.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi, well theres not a lot that can be said that hasn't been already Kelvin.

When you consider that most new sit in kayaks can range from say 300 quid up to thousands I would have thought you must be pretty close to being able to afford a sit on top, what is your budget?? if you dont mind me asking.

I faced the same dilema innitially myself but the deciding factor for me was ease of use plain n simple, it's a damn site easier to get onto a sot than into a sitin why make life harder for yourself :)

[ 31. May 2005, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

true, i was mainly thinking of a sot but just getting ****** off, ive found a good site on the site with damn cheap kayaks does anyone know any good delivery sites from america to uk???

thanks for your advice everyone most appreciated.

kind regards,

kelivn