Caper or Prowler?

Steve W

Having found that there are no Capers local to me to try out, imagine my surprise sitting at traffic lights in my truck today when a brand new yellow one went by on someone's roof!

It looked rather short and fat to me (compared to my expedition kayak) and got me wondering which OK model to go for. I still hope to get to see Starvin's boats this summer but in the meantime:

I weigh 13 and a half stone, intend fishing with only one rod, not too far offshore in relatively benign conditions. I won't take a passenger and don't need the option of camping trips because of my other boats.

Storing the Caper would be less of a problem but I see you all going for the Prowler which looks fantastic. I also note some comments about flexing and leaks.

So, any thoughts on what I should go for? Can someone measure a Caper for me, if I stored it on edge between my shed and the wall, how wide would that gap need to be?

Cheers, Steve W.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - the Prowler will give you the edge if you need to paddle against a tide flow (Suffolk = Blakeny type conditions or the Blackwater estary and surrounds).

Both Nifty myself and host of others have Prowlers and the 13 handles some pretty heavy water, not as well as a P&H expedition kayak, but is creditable. It is stable enough to sit side saddle and fish, is reasonably easy to paddle, not working a sweat up you should make 3.5 knots for cruising - the broader beam and flatter bottom take their toll over a touring kayak.

The other option is the Scupper Pro TW. It is just under 15', so car toppable, narrower in the beam at 26", a couple of inches, so not giving a huge amount away, but will gain some speed with its slender profile in comparison to the Prowler 13. But the P13 is a great all rounder and you can't really go wrong with that - you are similar build to the rest of us.

If you want to have a go I am quite happy to let you have a paddle. I should be over in the east on work fairly soon - Bury to shoot some of those lovely chops the Krazy horse guys build.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Don't go discounting the Caper, I'd say that there are equal numbers of the Caper and Prowler users on these forums.

The Prowler is a long yak and more difficult to store, ask my wife :) , the Caper on the other hand even fits inside my camper so I can go fully rigged and just drag out the van saving a lot of time, I just have to leave the wife and kids at home. :rolleyes:

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Steve

For me its the Caper, it has many of the advantages Prowler and some advantages that the Prowler does not have. For example, it is easier to handle (on dry land), transport and store. From what you have stated about the type of use it will get, which is similar to me it's the Caper for you.

It was not too long ago as many on here will testify that I agonised with a similar decision. I now have the Caper Angler with a few of my own additions and more planed and I have to say that the boat is a gem. It is stable, smooth riding even in an easterly chop, adequate storage space, and if you are reasonably fit, it moves quick enough and tracks really well.

All this said, the best advice I can give, is to pass on what the good folk here told me to do, if you can, try before you buy. I don't mean just paddling either, try carrying then for a couple hundred yards!!!

Good luck in your final choice.

Truth is, that when you start you might mean to stay with short paddles, but I think the temptation to creep up the adventurous list will soon set in. That is when the Caper will start to bog down a bit - or it will take you that bit longer to get where you want to go. That is why I was suggesting the P13 - BUT, it is a long lump to find a home for. It won't fit in my shed for instance, so has to live out, upside down under a tarp. The Caper is popular, and works well, but I like the paddling efficiency of a longer kayak. Go and try thew two, that's all you can do.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I have the Caper. As others have mentioned the Caper vs Prowler debate is about the trade off between speed and size/weight advantages.

Under flat conditions I can paddle comfortably at 3-3.5knots. However, the Prowler being longer and thinner will be better suited for longer distances and will cope better when conditions are more choppy plus there's more space for rigging if thats your thing. I agree with Simon that there may be a tendancy to increase your range once you've been out a few times (however this won't be with everyone).

If you think that at times a longer/heavier yak may hold you back from going fishing then go for a more manageable one. If you have the storage space, are less likely to 'pop out for quick fish', want more space for rigging and a kayak that will cope better with longer paddles then the Prowler may the one to go for.

If money is no object get both - Starvin has!

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Here ya go here's a quick comaparison pic I dunno if it helps, i'm lucky enough to own both and it is a tough decision to make.

Also bare in mind thats a Prowler 15 but the 13 is every bit as sexy.

5wwo3k

[ 12. June 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15