Caper or Prowler?

Steve W

You are so right Jon - we were all out catching tope off Towyn!

Prowler failed in his ability to influence the weather Gods though :P It threw it down, but at least the wind remained reasonable and allowed us to get out without having to deal with more than a 5 foot surf. That had abated by the time we came to come in and we all landed safely.

Welcome aboard Steve W. You'll find us a reasonable sort of bunch - for idiots!

Prowler 15 is the flagship mate.BUT as it is the longest - too long for most of us to car-top (or so we think) the P13 has taken over the mantle of compromise between P15 ability and Caper handiness, that is why it has become so popular. The P15 is ideal for W. wales (and everywhere else too) there are a couple Prowling along the N. Wales coast and around Anglesey. Don't worry, you have made an excellent choice. Prowler will fill you in on all the niceties of living with one - the rest of us just dream :rolleyes::rolleyes:

When you are kayaked come and join the rest of the gang for a trip out - Tope are great sport from a kayak. There were 5 of us out this weekend just gone and we all caught Tope - some more than others - but everyone eventually got at least one and plenty of doggies and bull huss.

I shall be back at Towyn in a couple of weeks.

Best of luck,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome legg,

Yep we were all out fishing, so sorry for the delay in the welcome.

As Simon has already said the Prowler 15 is a fine yak, looks very easy to kit out. Have fun, play safe and take things slowly at first.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Legg,

welcome aboard and I would second everything said above, a great choice, enjoy your purchase and gradually ease yourself into the fishing aspect once used to the yak...that way you'll end up with a piece of kit that works brilliantly for you.

There are loads of modified versions around, but it's a very personal thing, take your time in fitting what you want, and where you want it....the only trouble is, that then you get really attached to it, like a faithful old dog!!! :D

Have fun and Tightlines, Art :)

It was great to fish alongside 3 Prowler 13s and a Malibu 2 under a variety of conditions. Under moderate swells, the Prowlers coped better in my opinion. More water came in over the bow of the Caper and the cockpit was not as dry. However in calmer conditions the Caper fared well.

I think the swell and waves tend to be bigger up there compared to Bournemouth Bay area where I fish. If I lived up there I would go for the Prowler if I had the storage space. The Caper was the longest yak which would fit into my apartment so I had no choice really!

If you plan on going any real distance I would choose the Prowler. For pure convenience, the Caper would be hard to beat though. It really is a tough one. I will be putting a trolling motor on my Caper for some trips and the wider, more stable platform on the Caper will help.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I've got to say that I was surprised that the paddle speed between the Caper and Prowler were very similar, I was being sneaky and following Speciman, matching his paddle stroke, and there didn't appear to be any difference.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Only other difference was the paddle he was using may be stiffer and more efficient than my cheapy.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Hi,

well I finally made the choice today!Went to kayaks & paddles in Plymouth and hoisted them both onto the landrover roofrack.The caper was easier but I felt the prowler just had that much more and was not too bad to get up there.

I'm going to try and work out some way of putting rollers onto the rack-threading some rings like doughnuts onto the horizontals.There may be something on the market,any suggestions gratefully received.

Pick up the P13 on friday.

Yaskalos,will be in touch after first trials if you fancy a trip.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Nice one Musket, which colour did you go for?

Have a look at this link for an idea for loading up, not sure how well it will work, but interesting none the less.

http://www.allkayakfishing.com/rigged/hully.html

SM :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Starvin,good link thanks.Thats roughly along the lines I was thinking except I'll be loading from the rear.(steady!)

Probably only need rollers on the back. I could cheat and get a winch for the landy!!No..can't spend anymore money,I've still to get safety stuff organised.Only thing ordered so far Is a fladen floatation vest(orange).

I went for the green in the end,not the most conspicuous I know but I loved it.Will have to make up for it with Hi Vis 'bits'

[ 27. June 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: musket ]

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Chap I work with said why don't I put two wheels(as you'd use for a trolley) on the horizontal bars,put jubilee clips either side 'et voila'!!

Best idea yet,

Jon

[ 27. June 2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: musket ]