Caper or Prowler?

Steve W

Bloody typical - that's where all the sunshine is. Prowler has nabbed it all for himself. Send some over here will ya. I'm sick of the drizzle now

Ned a whole bunch of sunshine for the weekend of 25th and 26th June Prowler, so please let us have a bit of our ration for then eh? Oh, and keep the wind.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Speciman, a lot depends on your build, weight, storeage facilities, access to fishing and lots more too!

I'd love a Prowler but my access to the coast is pretty limited (cliffs) so my Perception Scooter at 18KG's is manageable to carry up & down steep steps etc.

I think the Caper would suit me better out of the two being a stocky little bloke, LOL but I noticed that Perception have brought out the Caster which looks the dogs b**lox so I would definately take your time when choosing your yak as it's a big purchase & difficult to return if you don't like it :(

Here's the 12.5' Caster, there's a shorter vsn too, well worth a look IMHO

http://www.kayaker.com/new/products/boat.a...t-on-top&ID=123

Perception have always built brilliant kayaks - their Freedom is a great S-O-T, longer I know, but it has been around for a while and is still good kayak. The Caster looks lovely from above, knowing Perception they have probably got the bottom sorted too - but you can't see. However, there is ONE over-riding problem with it as far as I can see. At 12' 6" it weighs in at a hefty 62lbs. The Prowler 13 is only 56lbs - that 6lbs is quite a difference and especially if you need to lug it up hill and down dale like you say NEA. Performance on water though is probably very good. Just something i noticed following your link.

Cheers Simon.

PS If you want to see some REAL kayaks go and look at the P&H site, they are built near me and they are one of the top big expedition kayaks. Point 65 North is another good make - but neither make sit on tops, just proper sea kayaks.

One of the best sit on tops is built in South Africa - I have one in build at the moment. Go and look at www.kayak.co.za and see the Dorado or the Pelican. Long though at around the 15' mark (Pelican is 14' 9" and Dorado 15' 4") The Dorado comes out at about £520 (12 Rand to the £ at the moment)and we get their 14% VAT back - so the 7000R becomes 6020 = £502 or thereabouts. Not out of the way for a hand built, GRP kayak with bulkheads and touring ability. P&H are about £2000!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon hope your keeping well, your wish is my command and just for good measure you can have the good weather this weekend too what did you do with Yakity ?? .

[ 14. June 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi Mark,

thanks for the weather - 24th - 26th June is when we could do with our bit of summer please.

I don't know where YY has gone. He has gone quiet for a bit. Hopefully he'll be back. He was talking about setting up another kayak forum, but that is all I know. He was a bit upset that the first Boat Fishing feature didn't mention the web or the safety lst - but then it was only an intro to tell readers that these things exist. You can't put everything down when limited to 1200 words :rolleyes:

As the features develop those things can be introduced - there is always the letters page too for people to put forward ideas.

Hopefully we'll get out this weekend down south for a smoothound. Catch something and make a feature from it - THEN I have a story I can hang some safety items on. But out of context and with the kayak sitting on the grass safety is a bit premature.

Anyway, I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and he'll be happy when he sees the fishing features. Hopefully he'll come and join in with the crowd - then he can show us all how it is done and we'll all learn from the master.

What's cracking off on your side? You drilled that big hole yet? I have heard that if you drill several along the length of the rounded bit underneath where you sit it helps to improve stability no end :D

Are you going to venture over at all?

Speak soon.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Yes I took your advice and drilled a few holes along the bottom to let the water out

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi all

I am a newbey to kayaking; I canoed as a young man but have never fished of one, you all talk about the Caper and P13 but not the p15 .I fish from my warrior and from the beach I decided that the p15 would suit Caernarfon Bay best It arrives on Friday. Was this the right decision .I do have all the safety equipment you listed.

John legg

Ps good forum

[ 23. June 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: legg ]

hi legg,

As you haven't had a reply I thought I'd just say a quick hello and welcome on behalf of the others.

I suspect the lucky bleeders are out "doing" instead of talking.I'm still agonising about which kayak to choose.I'm sure the P15 will suit you fine,if it was the only one available everyone would have it and be happy with it.Trouble is so much choice-bit like Billy Connellys' sketch about buying shampoo "used to be easy"

I'm sure the others will be in touch once they've returned,

good luck

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"