rod building supplies

jabee

At risk of appearing ignorant, is there a particular reason, other than price, to require fibreglass banks and not carbon or carbon/glass?

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these aren't Sportex but are they any use?

http://www.mudhole.com/docs/mainspec.htm

Go to the link for overstock items - there are some 80lb trolling blanks for under $30 + shipping but rememer to add the fedex cost of customs clearance and VAT to your total to give an all in price. My last order was 4kg, valued at about $160 and cost me an additional £35.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

And if you are visiting the mudhole site, take a look at the Cape Fear blanks. Not cheap by any means but every bit as good as they claim.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hiya,

jabee:

At risk of appearing ignorant, is there a particular reason, other than price, to require fibreglass banks and not carbon or carbon/glass?

Ok my reasoning for wanting only Fiberglas blanks is all down to the fishing I do, carbon has a nasty habit of going bang when you need it the most, all it takes is a knock at the wrong place at the wrong time and your rod is in lots of pieces.

With Fiberglas you get away with things like the rod hitting the gunnels while under a full load, also I have found that the glass blanks have a far better action and are better for lifting heavy fish from directly below the boats.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy - have you tried any designed like the Shakespeare Ugly Stik?

Graphite core so you get most of the advantages of carbon but glass outer layer and this dampens a little of the sensitivity of the carbon but also makes for a tough rod. Much more able to tolerate being abused.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hiya,

Newt:

Davy - have you tried any designed like the Shakespeare Ugly Stik?

Graphite core so you get most of the advantages of carbon but glass outer layer and this dampens a little of the sensitivity of the carbon but also makes for a tough rod.  Much more able to tolerate being abused.

I’ve not tried any of the heavier Ugly sticks only the lighter ones and I wasn’t really that impressed with them. They are more suited to fishing for running fish, ie fish that run away from the boat just like the Stand up Sticks that are all the rage over here.

This type of rod is great for fishing for anything that runs but when it comes to lifting from directly below the boat they are not as good as the old Fiberglas UK Style rods.

As almost all my fish come from directly below the boat, you can see why I’m looking for the old style rods. Ok they are heavier than the modern carbon rods but when you add nearly 2lb of reel a couple of ounces isn’t that important

Davy

Ugly Stik Tiger rods might do for you then.

Part of their line.

Hiya,

Thanks Newt... I still cant convince myself.. I think I would need to see one and give it a shot before I went out and bought them.

Firewalker: sadly solid glass just doesn’t have the same action as the Hollow Glass or the lifting power as they tend to have a soft action .

:(

Davy