Advice Please

doshkadog

Right Had the Kayak for about three weeks now and done the nice paddling and tried fishing a bit. Put rod rests on and kitted out. Never having been fishing from boats I do not know where to go from.

Do I just paddle round the coast where I would not other wise be able to fish or do i paddle out to see for a mile and fish there?? by trial and error find somewhere to fish? How do i know where any reefs or recks are? Must I buy a fish finder, are there maps I can buy?

I think thats enough questions for one posting. Listening with interest!! Doshkadog

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Hi Doshkadog,

Right then..First of all I'm presuming that you an angler anyway who wanted a Kayak to get you amongst the fish?

If you look at the coast you're paddling past it can give you an idea of what's under the surface i.e steep cliffs plunging into dark water should be deep and good for many species like pollack and likewise shallow sandy beaches may hold flatties.Broken ground with large rocks and gullys would be attractive to bass/wrasse.The mouthes of estuaries can be good especially just after low water when the fish start following the tide back in to feed.

Try and get hold of an Admiralty chart for your area,it'll show you where the reefs are and rock pinnacles rising from the sea bed where fish will congregate.As you're paddling to a spot try trolling a spinner behind you to pick up a mackeral -if you get one stop there with some feathers to get some more.

I could keep on but have chores to get on with,I'm sure others will chip in-good luck

Jon

[ 20. July 2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: musket ]

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi Doshkadog

If you are an angler it should be good fun hunting down marks. Suggest trying to find angling books on that area (if there are any) and work through the inshore marks there to start with. I think Nifty has a good collection of books he may be able to recommend some titles.

I have a few which cover the south coast area mainly by Hugh Stoker and although they are outdated many of the marks listed are still relevant today.

If you have/buy a GPS you can save the location of any good marks you find. Also when exploring new marks a fishfinder will be invaluable as you will have an idea of the depth and underwater terrain.

If someone puts you onto a good mark and it doesn't fish well don't write it off after the first trip. The way I approach new venues is that if I blank twice I will go back a mark where I am fairly sure I will catch thus keeping my interest and confidence in fishing up. The last few trips for me have not been productive so I hope to get back to my local hunting ground in Poole Bay in a few days time for a species hunt :)

[ 20. July 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Question for the local anglers - if he were asking about someplace local to me, I'd also suggest watching for sea birds working an area and try fishing there. Would that also apply in the UK?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Kosh-a-Dog,

you haven't said which part of the coast you fish along - a rough area will help all of us give you more detailed advice. We might not know the exact marks for you, but can give you more specific generalisations for that section of coastline - if you get my drift

Another very good source of information is the local tackle shop. They won't give you pinpoint marks, but they are always (well mostly) happy to tell you what is being caught and on what bait/lure. From that you can work out a rough idea of where to go. Ask other anglers, politely and gently, they wil often reveal snippets and when you start putting all the snippets together you get a better idea of the whole.

Enjoy your kayaking, and be lucky!

Simon

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon,

Sorry I go from Aberporth West Wales. Been looking for diving birds but none in sight the last few trips along the coast.

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Doshkadog,

the most useful charts would be in the Leisure series Admiralty Charts. Number 1973 shows the whole coastline for that area as below...

1973.jpg

and there is also a more detailed version at 1:25000 of all the main inlets along that stretch and all the way up to Aberdovey...1484 shown below...

1484.jpg

You can check 'em out on the Admiralty website here http://www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk/prodserv...sc_editions.asp

I think they're about 14 quid so not cheap...but they are good. All the tidal flow information and features you could ever want. The only down side may be that there aren't many features...I bought the chart for Carmarthen Bay and frankly it couldn't be much more featureless! :(

Either way I'm sure you'll find the fish...or use really smelly bait and let them find you!!! :D

Best of Luck, Art :)