Let us have a look at your Kayak.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi DS.

If I had my time again would I bother with the Hatch......on the XT a deffinate NO.

Yaskalos has fitted a portable Fishfinder, and Im sure he would offer his help to you, along with some other tips.

OHHHHH the trials of choosing your ride :D ......I think most of us faced the same problems.

Good luck.

YY :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Yaskalos.

Thanks for letting us have a look at your ride mate.

Which portable Fishfinder did you opt for?

Shes looking mighty fine there, are you happy with the rigging or do you plan any changes in the future?

Wish I had a pound for everytime I changed or altered mine, and still may make changes. :D

Damm must have one of those mothers!!!!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi YY

I went for the Eagle Cuda 128, and after about a dozen trips using it I have to say I am more than pleased with it. It takes about 2 mins to set up on the Yak, runs for at least 18 hours continually running on 8 AA rechargeables. It has been responsible for me catching more fish since I have been using it. Also, as it is the portable version there is no drilling or glueing required to the Yak.

Darnsarf happy to give you any info on the fishfinder and have pics of how I set it up, let me know if you want any help.

Hi Yakity

Just looking at your milkcrate at the moment. I'm coming round to the idea of having the rods behind me too. When the rods are in their tubes can you see both tips at the same time when facing forwards?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Yaskalos.

Sounds like your more than happy with your choice of Fishfinder.

Like you, I gave thought to the portable option when I first got the XT.

The beauty of the portable being, if you have more than one kayak, you can interchange the unit between the two.

I expect Darnsarf will be more than glad of your help mate.

Cheers for now.

Hi Specimen.

Thinking of a change in the set up ?

Re the tips, yes you can see both the tips with no problems while rods are in the tubes.

I sat in the Kayak, and played with the lengths till I felt it was right.

Didnt glue anything untill I had the paddle arch clear.

Two leashes are attatched to the crate pipework, to hold fast the rods.

Look for a BEER crate not a milk crate, the beer crates are much stronger make up

Cheers.

Yakity thinking more of setting the kayak up rather than changing anything!

Up until now I've just been using the flush mount rod holders which came with the yak. Haven't done any rigging at all really except for installing a center hatch and building a trolley. Now I've been out fishing a bit I've got more of an idea as to what I want. I bought a scotty rod holder and mount a few weeks ago but haven't fit it yet. I'm still undecided on it. Like you I want the cockpit area free of clutter - with my fairly long legs there's not much room there.

I'm building a wooden tankwell crate as I found it hard to source a strong plastic crate for the Caper (have the motor) plus half of it will be a baittank with pump for sandeel, joey mackeral , prawns etc.

This way I have a custom fit. With the pump I plan to extract water from one tankwell scupper hole and drain the tank from the other scupper hole. I'm borrowing ideas used to make a plywood aquarium to make the bait tank.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Specimen.

See what your saying re the rigging.

Having a clear cockpit and fishing arch is definately the way to go.

Especialy for your Tope fishing and the like.

The less there is to snag or get caught up on the better.

You have proberbly done the maths on the weight capacity of the Caper. ( 325lbs)

Out of interest, with you, your gear, the motor and battteries wooden crate etc, how are you doing for wieght?

Must be creeping up there a bit:D

Did I see you mention, that you may be thinking of a Cobra Fish n Dive at a later date.?

YY