More Tope Tales

nifty

Hi All,

Had a Brilliant days sport today on our Tope mark boating six beasties to around the 40lb mark in a frantic three hours.

The day started slowly due to a stiff southerly breeze keeping me away from where i wanted to be as i didnt fancy the paddle back to the launch spot later on against the wind,so i spent a couple of hours feathering for bait(Unsuccesfully) while i waited to see if the wind eased. Fortunately about midday it died away so i went out to the usual mark and dropped the hook. The tide was pulling hard by now but after an hour all I'd had was one doggy so i moved out a bit further into about 25 ft of water a mile or so from shore and started again.

The only bait i had were six frozen mackerel as the shrimp rig had only produced two big weaver and small Pollack, so I put half a mackerel on and drifted it away downtide with half an ounce of lead and put the rod in the holder while i had a swig of pop.

Immediately the ratchet screamed and i fumbled about grabbing the rod and putting the drink away but i hadn't struck the fish properly and after a few seconds it spit the hook.

Straight back down with a new bait and within a couple of minutes it went again and this time I hit it hard and hung on. This felt like a very big fish and kept very deep but again after about five minutes disaster struck and everything went slack and i reeled in to find the 15lb mainline chafed through. I was using the usual 7ft heavy mono and wire trace so either it was a very long fish or it had rolled itself up the line which is apparently a common trick, although i havn't had it done before to me.

I was well gutted now but rigged up again and within a few minutes was hooked up again and this time managed to boat a 25lb fish.

In the next two and a half hours i boated another five ranging in size from a pup of about 15 lb to a nice fish that was estimated 40lb+.

I never had to wait more than ten minutes between fish and spent the best part of two hours bent into fish.

Trouble is i ran out of bait as I'm sure I could have bagged a few more, but I'd had a good day in the end so I wasn't too disappointed to have to pack in.

Again the pics are a bit disappointing. tope004.jpg

tope005.jpg

tope003.jpg

nifty.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brilliant--nowt else to say.

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Nifty , were you in Mid Wales today? I nipped over to Borth and had a few mackies on the shrimp rigs. Tried for tope off Borth head ( always thought there was a chance here) but two hours gave nothing.

Ok Prowler 13

Think I'd have prefered your catch but not sure how i'd have coped! Plenty of yaks out but only me fishing , only a few jetskis so quite an enjoyable trip. was a little taken aback by how shallow it is so far out! Still getting to grips with this lark but having great fun , maybe soon i'll have the confidence to tag along with the experts!??

Ok Prowler 13