Baited Spooning

Simon Everett

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hungry Fisherman:

hey maybe i could start a trend using forks could work lol hell im gonna rig one up just for a laff watch this space   :D  

Hi Hungry.

Try the fork on the end of a speargun :D:D

zzippy2.gif

ar u lads using a standard bomb weight (or watever) or using a spinning vaine and lead?

always used a bomb from off the beach just wondered if u took more care when off a kayak concerning line twist as u ar covering that much more ground without reeling in! as in loads more revolutions!

?

Geffaz,

When using the spoon I have a swivel then short trace directly to the first swivel on the spoon. No weights needed.

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Sorry for sounding reallyu really dim BUT!

What does the spoon do??

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

I am the same - ony I have invested in a couple of ball bearing swivels, those on the spoon are just ordinary mustad swivels, then about 18" of trace to the ball bearing swivel. The spoon is let out behind the boat as you slowly row/paddle away from it when it is on the bottom. About 20 yards is all you need, then engage the line and paddle/row VERY slowly.

The rod tels you when you have the speed correct. The tip nods, or with my big spoon the whole rod shakes! You want the speed to be so the tip nods lick a clock - tick, tick tick. At a nice staedy rythum. Keep check on the depth the spoon is swimming by stopping every now and then to let it setle on the bottom - if it takes more than about 1 second to hit bottom when you stop then it is too high in the water - let out more line.

A bite is indicated by a sharp rattle, against all instinct and contrary to static bait fishing you don't stop or slow down - instaed put in a couple of quick strokes and be prepared for your rod tip to hit the water!! You must set your drag before you start or even the humble flounder will SMASH YOU when they nail that spoon - it is very exciting and because you are straight through to the fish they get a chance to show just how sporting they are. Surprisingly fast and if you fish with 8lb line (I do) you will have to play a flounder and yield line. We see them as slow mud dwellers crawling about on the bottom for worms. This is true, they do that, butthey are just as capable of catching live sandeels, sand gobies, shrimps and prawns, crabs.....a very sporting fish usually anchored to the bottom by a 3oz lead on the end of a casting leader and a rod capable of landing a conger.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Nice one Simon!

I used to love using spoons on my local river for perch! A real trip down memory lane and I'll be giving your technique a good trial! :D

Doshkadog, the spoon has a fantastic wobble action in the water...not like a spinner...it's much more random and looks just like a bait fish on its dying fins...this attracts the 'flounder' or bass in closer and then they catch on to the scent of the real bait...irresistable! :D

Cheers for the inspiration Simon...funnily enough I dug up an old desert spoon in the garden over the weekend...I think that must be a sign!!! :D ...now where's that hacksaw...

It is indeed an omen from the gods :)

I look forward to seeing a picture of your flounder the size of a dining room table in the bottom boards of a large, blue, kayak :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo