Boat Fishing Monthly

Dave Godwin

I do think to just fish where there are lots of small bass and to feather for them is unnessersery.

Sam, on the day that was the way they were feeding, there were no big ones to fish for sam! I dont know why, I tried bait it did not work. Eccentialy, you are saying, 'the succesfull method was wrong because it was succesfull'. Because it took fish, most of which went back, that was wrong? Sorry you are offering a double standard. Thats like saying 'dont use sand eel as bait cos its succesfull'?

I believe we need to relook at what is hapening in this 'round and round' circus we call fish (and bass)conservation. The (comercial) fishermen feel they have a point, lets accept it is "their full living", thats a serious fact. We 'the angler' get all hot under the coller, stomp around making lots of noise about a hobby!!! Hobby V Living? Its no wonder no one takes us seriously.

The powers that be see it that way, they have no understanding, cos they have neaver got their hands dirty. You can see the fruits of trawling or netting, it does not take much to understand the end result, on the face of it, its meanigfull. Anglers, they are 'having fun' nothing serious about that, nothing visable to see and understand. We know the the figures are good to promote angling, financialy, jobs and stocks, but as long as we are seen as, boat rocking, irrational anorack toting cranks? the rule makers will smile beninley offereing sops and red tape. The comercial are happy for this to continue. The rule makers have no feeling for fish because of lack of first hand experiance in angling. I think they see it puerly as a managment exercise, managment has to be right, 'right or wrong????". Cynical, me!! :wacko:

CJS2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think to just fish where there are lots of small bass and to feather for them is unnessersery.

Sam, on the day that was the way they were feeding, there were no big ones to fish for sam! I dont know why, I tried bait it did not work. Eccentialy, you are saying, 'the succesfull method was wrong because it was succesfull'. Because it took fish, most of which went back, that was wrong? Sorry you are offering a double standard. Thats like saying 'dont use sand eel as bait cos its succesfull'?

I believe we need to relook at what is hapening in this 'round and round' circus we call fish (and bass)conservation. The (comercial) fishermen feel they have a point, lets accept it is "their full living", thats a serious fact. We 'the angler' get all hot under the coller, stomp around making lots of noise about a hobby!!! Hobby V Living? Its no wonder no one takes us seriously.

The powers that be see it that way, they have no understanding, cos they have neaver got their hands dirty. You can see the fruits of trawling or netting, it does not take much to understand the end result, on the face of it, its meanigfull. Anglers, they are 'having fun' nothing serious about that, nothing visable to see and understand. We know the the figures are good to promote angling, financialy, jobs and stocks, but as long as we are seen as, boat rocking, irrational anorack toting cranks? the rule makers will smile beninley offereing sops and red tape. The comercial are happy for this to continue. The rule makers have no feeling for fish because of lack of first hand experiance in angling. I think they see it puerly as a managment exercise, managment has to be right, 'right or wrong????". Cynical, me!! :wacko:

CJS2

Living V hobby.

I wonder how all those charter boat skippers who have gone out of business feel about having their living taken away?

I wonder if the had fun as they saw their booking drying up as mono gill nets took their toll?

As for feathering small bass there is a difference between angling and catching fish.

Didn't you know?

Living V hobby.

I wonder how all those charter boat skippers who have gone out of business feel about having their living taken away?

I wonder if the had fun as they saw their booking drying up as mono gill nets took their toll?

As for feathering small bass there is a difference between angling and catching fish.

Didn't you know?

Gill netts? One of the reasons why the rules have to be changed, how right you are.

If the skipper refused to take the group feathering, that would be OK for him to loose a days pay cos the perfectly normal method is not to your liking?

Feathering and catching fish? Yes, I find feathering a very un rewarding method, however, the guys who have paid there money dont see it that way. I would rather use a light 12lb rod and 12lb line, for much of my boat angling, there are many who would not go less than 20/30lb class and 20/25lb line, regardles of situation, are they wrong, just because I prefer to fish closer to the limit? Feathering is as legitimate as taking a 36cm bass, but you are entitled to your opinion. A point worth mentioning that was in the artical, bass to 50cm were landed, there were a smatering of 45cm's as well, so lets not be to hard.

I say again, we know the rules need changing, believe me, we who grasp how fish stocks are disapearing are in the minority. Most know there is somthing wrong, they catch fewer and smaller fish these days, they dont know why. probably dont care either? Ideologie in the most part, falls on deaf ears?

CJS2

Cynical, me!!

Welcome aboard.

:D The penny is droping, learning fast Wurzel. Had a few eye openers over the past few months mate.

CJS2 :blink:

I say again, we know the rules need changing, believe me, we who grasp how fish stocks are disapearing are in the minority.

Thats because they are not disapearing, infact bass are increaseing at an alarming rate, and starting to spread through out the north sea, even as far as Norway now.

But a few bigger ones would not hurt

I fish to live and live to fish.

Thats because they are not disapearing, infact bass are increaseing at an alarming rate, and starting to spread through out the north sea, even as far as Norway now.

But a few bigger ones would not hurt

Now then Wurzel, thats sterring the pot mate, we shoud be over run by some half decent bass in two or three years time? :huh: I will watch this space,:D Hope you are right. In the mean time, "where did all the big bass go in the summer"? Compared with a couple or three seasons ago, this years has been hard work, so many small ones?

CJS2

Gill netts? One of the reasons why the rules have to be changed, how right you are.

If the skipper refused to take the group feathering, that would be OK for him to loose a days pay cos the perfectly normal method is not to your liking?

Feathering and catching fish? Yes, I find feathering a very un rewarding method, however, the guys who have paid there money dont see it that way. I would rather use a light 12lb rod and 12lb line, for much of my boat angling, there are many who would not go less than 20/30lb class and 20/25lb line, regardles of situation, are they wrong, just because I prefer to fish closer to the limit? Feathering is as legitimate as taking a 36cm bass, but you are entitled to your opinion. A point worth mentioning that was in the artical, bass to 50cm were landed, there were a smatering of 45cm's as well, so lets not be to hard.

I say again, we know the rules need changing, believe me, we who grasp how fish stocks are disapearing are in the minority. Most know there is somthing wrong, they catch fewer and smaller fish these days, they dont know why. probably dont care either? Ideologie in the most part, falls on deaf ears?

CJS2

:D The penny is droping, learning fast Wurzel. Had a few eye openers over the past few months mate.

CJS2 :blink:

On the size of bass you have obviously noticed what the rest of the country has noticed.

There are definately far fewer decent bass around now.

I wonder why?

Regardless of the diatribe spouted by commercial fishermen eager to defend their positions,it's down to over fishing.

Whether that be pair trawlers,inshore netters, offshore netters,or whatever,its down to too much commercial fishing.

The only reason there are so many small bass around is favourable climate for the last few years and the current(to small) MLS.

Is it a coincidence that the vast majority of bass caught lately are under the current MLS?

If the MLS was raised there would still be lots of bass at just under the MLS but they would be a bit bigger because of it.

That would prove that commercial fishing definately has an impact on bass size.

Why is it that you can still find isolated local poulations of bigger bass if you are very lucky?

Its because you found them before the netters did.

One more point on the feathering for bass that is linked to the above.

If catching fish for a charter party is the all important thing no matter what method is used why doesn't that skipper invest in some mono gill net as it will out fish feathers on most ocasions.

If the bass are taking feathers they will also be taking flies and other lures.

Using feathers for them like a commercial fisherman would is not on no matter what excuses you make for that skipper.