Boat Fishing Monthly

Dave Godwin

Lets put the records streight. Dave Godwin is right, if all that's there is bass that will only take feathers then thats it. The anglers have paid to catch fish, they have no interest in our green anorak ways, they know the rule (law) is 36cm! All day? hardly, thats hard work! Full strings? three feather per string, mostly one's, sometimes two or three, and yes the skipper did move about to spread the load.

I fish the stour all summer, catch under size bass on the drift, often 30-40 fish a session, and put them all back, am I going to stop fishing because there are no decent size ones . . . ? not on your life. I might just hook in to the bass of a lifetime.

Most fish taken were around the 40-43cm, the only way to stop this is to change the rules. If comercial fishermen can land 36cm bass why cant a rod and line angler, thats the way of the world, the sooner those of you who mouth off realise this the better. Seriously, put your efforts into being vocal to any one that will listen and matters. The skipper and anglers were doing nothing wrong or illegal.

Thats me' bit. I suport the move to make bass a sport fish, but untill we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, I critisis no one for playing by the rules.

CJS2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair comment.

Like you say its the rules that need changing.

A bigger MLS would stop people taking undersize bass but it wouldn't stop them catching them.

I'm just amazed that a charter skipper who relies on fish to earn a living could be so careless about their welfare for the future.

Taking anglers out feathering for small bass is not a responsible thing to do really when you think about it.

Earning today with no thought for tomorrow is straight from the commercial fishermans handbook. :(

Bob, Yes, I can agree with you, however I can see it from the skippers point, he has regular crews, they pay and expect fish. A strict measur of 36cm is adhered to. Do you, keep the take to 2-3 fish per angler, or let them down and destroy your livley hood. At least there are limits that are enforced. Just cos they are small dont mean we stop fishing, we chuck em back. An angler on Sunday reported catching 40+ to one rod the other had 30+ all under size codling, all I presume went back? Do we stop? or pick a couple of the over minimum size for a feed? I know what most anglers would do. It aint no different for bass.

I say again, change the rules. That wont happen untill somone in the appropriate govenment post understands angling! At present 'fishing is fishing'. We know different, there is 'angling' and there is (comercial) 'fishing'. When the vail is removed and there is 'understanding'. 'Understanding' does not come with out the experience.

CJS2

Bob, Yes, I can agree with you, however I can see it from the skippers point, he has regular crews, they pay and expect fish. A strict measur of 36cm is adhered to. Do you, keep the take to 2-3 fish per angler, or let them down and destroy your livley hood. At least there are limits that are enforced. Just cos they are small dont mean we stop fishing, we chuck em back. An angler on Sunday reported catching 40+ to one rod the other had 30+ all under size codling, all I presume went back? Do we stop? or pick a couple of the over minimum size for a feed? I know what most anglers would do. It aint no different for bass.

I say again, change the rules. That wont happen untill somone in the appropriate govenment post understands angling! At present 'fishing is fishing'. We know different, there is 'angling' and there is (comercial) 'fishing'. When the vail is removed and there is 'understanding'. 'Understanding' does not come with out the experience.

CJS2

if handled correctly most bass returned will live, but most cod will die.

I do think to just fish where there are lots of small bass and to feather for them is unnessersery.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

but most cod will die.

Just what do you base this statement on Sam?? As the Big man says providing they are not mistreated Cod go back no problem. I've kept Codling I've caught from 120' in my aquarium for just over 4 months before it our grew the tank and was released.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Thames estuary cod are very rarely released.

When one of them is chucked back they usually die of shock. :D

Ihave lip hooked small codling that have been caught on light gear and realed in very carefully only for them to float down tide.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

A bigger MLS would stop people taking undersize bass but it wouldn't stop them catching them

It would mean the under sized bass would be even bigger, so even harder to enforce on anglers.

I fish to live and live to fish.