A tale of a winter Red letter day

RUDD

It started early Saturday evening after receiving a phone call that my youngest child’s football training on Sunday morning was cancel due to waterlogged pitch.

“You may as well go fishing for the morning then” stated the wife making it clear I had to be home by 1300hrs due to a family commitment.

Out came the tablet and after a few searches performed, sunrise 07:50 and mild weather would continue overnight with heavy rain due in the early hours until around 0800hrs, clearing into a bright warm day with temps pushing 10deg and a light wind from the South – not bad for January!

So no need for an early start as I did not fancy trampling round in mud, in the dark getting wet.

Now my thoughts turned to Venue, species, tactics and bait.

Normally this time of year its delicate lines with size 22/24 hooks on the pole, waggler or a tiny cage feeder with a single pinkie just trying to get a bite from a Roach, Perch or Skimmer.

Not tomorrow I thought, BIG winter Bream will be my target as I am sure I know where they are shoaled up.

Now, any regular readers of my adventures at the hard deep clear water pit will know that I have done very well down there during the warmer months after putting in a lot of time and effort in learning about the place, but its still winter and no matter what the weather we know that Stillwater fish are less active and respond to light levels.

Bearing in mind the day would be bright and bites most likely at a premium I decided to fish two Avon’s with bait runners on a pod with alarms and light bobbins used in conjunction with mini method feeders, 2mm feed pellets and small baits.

This would also allow me to make hot drinks on the jet boil and enjoy nature through my bins whilst relaxing under the umbrella on my Nash slumber chair – nice.

At about 21:00hrs after completing several chores and spending time with the family out to the garage I went and after a thirty minute struggle getting all the bits and bobs (stored for winter until around mid April (usually)) together I found a slight problem, after rooting through my bait fridge/freezer I found I have no maggots or corn, no corn in the food freezer either – damn it. I plumed for 8mm bright krill/white chocolate/tutti fruti mini boilies, 6mm normal or white banded pellets and also a handful of 10mm Nash F1 frozen boilies.

These were put in a sealy bag with a big glug of Salmon oil as they defrosted.

Also took some plastic baits which are always in the tackle bag.

Kit ready I went and watched match of the day setting the alarm for 07:30.

06:00 – woken up by my 18 month old Nephew who was staying the night!

Pitch black and heaving down with rain, the wife says I thought you are going fishing early? GGGRRRRRRRR!!!

Showered then knocked up some fried breakfast and hot java lava coffee and at 07:30 the rain eased to a drizzle, car loaded and off I went.

On arrival at the car park I was shocked to see another two anglers unloading gear; they saw me and made a beeline for the hot pegs on the runs water.

Had a quick chat with them and they wished me luck when I told them I was off down the bottom pit!

Swim selection was easy, I went straight to the spot where I thought the fish were and was greeted by something rolling out there in the gloom.

Set up the umbrella (still a bit of drizzle plus the dripping from above trees), landing net, seat, pod and rods whilst a pint of 2mm pellets were soaked in lake water which was cold but not that cold.

All set and the sun has come out, another fish rolls further out than where I have observed in the past, both rods cast at that spot and clipped up, reeled back in.

A 10mm F1 went goes out on one method with a size 18 drennan method hook and 7lb double strength hook length on left rod and an 8mm krill, same size hook etc on the right hand rod.

Runners and bobbins set and the GFs set on high sensitivity I put the kettle on. The jet boil has 400ml of water boiling in around about two and a half minutes – not bad. Coffee made I have just settled back when the left hand bobbin registers a drop back bite. Rod picked up, I wind down and feel two big thumps and all goes slack.

I won’t describe the language used as I know deep down that it may be the only bite I receive all session, if it was a Bream it may well have spooked the shoal. Looking at the rig I also realise its my own fault as the 18 is to small paired up with a 10mm bait and immediately increase the hook size to a 16.

Re cast the bait to the same spot and settle back to my coffee.

Round about twenty minutes later 09:30ish as I watch the water fowl going about their business the same rod again receives a drop back bite.

This time the fish is hooked and I play in a cross Crucian (possible F1 caught on an F1 – ironic?) of around 2.5lbs.

My first fish of 2014 is on the bank, caught from a hard venue in the winter, it’s also my first dangle of 2014 and I have not blanked!

The same bait/rig goes out to the same spot and after a few minutes I notice the rod tip tremble a few times – line bites or fish banging the feeder?

The bobbin slamming the underside of the rod coupled with a one toner answers that question, the rod is picked up and at same time I flick the bait runner switch (due to nature of swim the rods are to my left – I am right handed and in this situation pick up rod with left hand as right hand goes underneath to hit bait runner switch as I cant turn handle to disengage bait runner, the rod is then transferred to right hand and left hand then goes on reel handle. I would usually fish with rods to my right).

The rod hoops round and there is a good scrap going on – not a bream but what is it?

Would you believe it, is it gets a few rod lengths out through the clear water I see a Tench turn. It is landed and weighs in at 5lb 1oz – I am over the moon, a winter Tench.

The rig goes out with a fresh F1 to same spot and the right hand rod comes in.

This one still has a size 18 hook so I feel now having a couple of fish its time to play.

On goes a 10mm F1 which is then whittled down to suit hook and out is goes.

The jet boil is put on and a nice cup of green tea brewed.

I settle back and watch a flock of long tailed tits hunt out any insects they can find on the trees around me – what a joy to watch – the tranquillity is shattered by the right hand alarm signalling a drop back. In comes a Crucian carp of around 2lb out goes another whittled down boilie.

Within tens minutes another Crucian falls to this trap and out goes the same rig.

After half an hour of watching both rod tips have the occasional tremble it seems very quite, even the birdlife has done a vanishing act so in comes the left hand rod and off comes the 10mm F1.

On goes half of a new F1 with half of an 8mm white chocolate boilie.

My though process is simple, the fish are there taking 2mm pellets, I presume its dark down there so the half white boilie will give visual attraction whilst the half F1 soaked in salmon oil will give off a scent/taste attraction.

Out it goes and I settle back until over on a bank to my left I see a movement as either a Weasel or Stoat runs between swims. I gamble it will appear in the next swim in the direction I saw it running and raise the bin’s to my eyes and focus in – it appears and I feel honoured to be watching it, as my brain tells me to look at its tail to give a positive identification the left hand half/half rig gives a slow run with the bait runner even giving a few clicks – bloody typical, the one time I don’t want a bite!

As I pick up the rod all I can feel is a big weight on the end, I apply pressure and the rod forms into a beautiful curve, its seems to take an eternity but I feel the fish move, I feel the occasion thud as it kites left and right in a never ending slow zig zag, I am sure I have the targeted fish in my grasp – how wrong I am.

After a few minutes a see the fish rise up the shelf and it is a big Mirror carp – judging from the fight it is half asleep, it gives me no problems and is soon netted.

I unhook her on the mat, take a long look, wish I had my camera then weight her – 21lb 6oz – I am no longer over the moon but somewhere near Venus as I feel like I am on fire (most likely the 10deg air temp coupled with two layers of thermal leg wear and four layers of upper body clothing!).

Here I am on the 19th January and I have achieved my yearly goal of a 20lb carp – in the winter. I put her back and then on impulse put the other half of the white 8mm boilie on the hair on its own, load up the mini method and launch it to its spot.

On goes the jet boil and this time I brew a nice cup of Earl Gray.

The Long tail tits have returned so I watch them for a bit until both alarms give a single bleep simultaneously, both methods have been fished within a meter of each other all session and I hope that this is an indication that the Bream shoal has moved in – its not! Minutes later another F1 is landed on the rod with the half a white boilie and at 12:15 another Crucian falls to a whittled down F1 boilie on the left hand rod.

Alas its almost time to pack up, I slowly put take down the brolly when the left hand rod gives a drop back, I feel the fish but its only on for seconds, the rod is packed away. It’s now 12:30 and every thing is packed bar the one rod and landing net.

I pick up the rod to reel in and feel a thump then nothing – there are still fish feeding over my spot and I have to go, I am gutted I cant stay and at the same time elated and buzzing after having such a good winter session.

To sum up, sadly no target Bream but that’s life and I can’t complain now can I:

Pleasant weather, great wildlife, fresh hot drinks and to top it off some nice winter fish, four species off the catch list and a seasonal target achieved from a water where I would have been happy to just get a bite in the winter. :icecream:

• Like 2

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Nice report Rudd, you seem to be picking up where you left off on that water. What a way to start the new year, good luck with the Bream.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Well played. A brilliant report and a proper inspiration. The continuing story of your adventures on this water has me waiting with bated breath for the next instalment.

I'm champing at the bit to get back on the Tees. Spent an afternoon exploring with light spinning and drop shot outfits, looking for perch, with just a couple of jacks and a few corporals to show for it. I'd walked a fair old distance and the light was going when I came across a swim that just screamed pike; one that looks to have promise in flood conditions. The longer I looked, the better it seemed; it took the onset of forecasted rain to snap me out of my reverie, so with a fair walk ahead I reluctantly packed up.

Standing there, having a last lingering look around, you could have knocked me down with a feather when a huge spiky dorsal fin broke surface, maybe ten feet in front on the (so far) unfancied right-hand side of the swim. It was one of those blink and you've missed it moments.

I was tempted to set back up, but the light had almost gone by this point. Never mind, I'd have an other opportunity in a few days - couldn't wait!

Ahem... the best laid plans and all that...2 days later and I managed to damage my achilles tendon (very painful!) 2 weeks later and still hobbling around on a stick, my soul is tormented and your eloquently written and inspirational tale is NOT HELPING IN THE SLIGHTEST!!! :wheelchair::doh:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Well done,was just wondering if you are fishing a gravel pit or a commercial.I only ask because I am tempted to put the pike rods away and have a go myself.

Its an old, deep and clear irrigation pit.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!