Lure Rod Help Pretty Please!

Phil Adams

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Nice has hit it on the head Phil.To choose the best rod you really need to think about what you want it to do ie species,type of water, bank or boat (maybe), and most certainly the type/size of lures you will be intending to use.One good bit of news is that what ever you want you will have no trouble getting one in the UK.Unlike a few years ago when a 9'salmon spinning rod or very poor qua;ity "boys" rod were the only readily available options!Plenty of choice now thanks to the growth in popularity of lure fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ok......

I'm aiming to catch pike into the mid/high doubles (maybe the possibility of the odd 20) using plugs, spoons, spinner baits etc on "medium" sized rivers such as the Ouse.

I doubt I will be fishing from a boat, since I dont have access to one lol

From what Ive seen rod wise, I would like idealy an 7-8ft rod with a short ish handle and trigger grip. I tried an american style bait caster with the one handed grip but could'nt get comfy with it at all. I really dont know about lure size or weights.

I looked at the Fox range and got very confused, whats the difference between a Spinning rod, Jerk bait rod and Lure rod??

Thanks for trying to help me guys, I do appreciated it :)

Edited by Phil Adams

Always difficult finding one good lure rod to do everything. In fact, it doesn't exist. However Phil that rod will do for general purpose baitcasting as long as you don't expect it to cast small perch lures or very big jerkbaits.

If you get into lure fishing in a big way, then you'll end up with something akin to a golfers full set of clubs.

Specifying 'baitcaster' and not 'spinning' rod does restrict you to the shorter rods. Ideally from the bank, a longer rod would have made life easier amongs the vegetation but long baitcasters are few and far between. I know Ron Thomson used to do them but I'm not sure whether they still do. A seven footer will give you more leverage on a big fish than a ten footer so technically its more efficient, however it can be a bit of a bugger trying to lift a returning lure over close-in weeds and reeds. Nothing's perfect.

Type of rod.

Spinning rod. Made to take a fixed spool reel. Rod guides are much bigger than a baitcaster which means that you can use a baitcaster reel on a fixed spool rod . However you'd then be using it in the upside down position and the spline of the rod would be on the wrong side. I broke a perfectly good rod doing precisely that a few years back. In europe they're longer than baitcasting rods, although no real reason other than (I guess) that they were traditionally used by game anglers (salmon and trout) and they seem to go for the longer rods. In the US they tend to be about the same length.

Baitcaster rods. Made for a multiplier reel, usually with a trigger grip (not always) The grip makes using a fixed spool reel a little awkward. Besides the guides are much smaller on a baitcasting rod and that restricts casting with a fixed spool reel and as before the spline would be on the wrong side.

Jerkbait rod. Just a much heavier version of a standard baitcaster. Jerkbaits particularly the weighted softbaits, are getting heavier and 120-150 grams isnt unusual. You need something like a snooker cue with a slightly soft tip to cast them.

The ABU 5501 (if your right handed) is the one to go for. You can hand it on to your grandchildren and it'll be a collectors item by then. If you dont fancy hanging around for one on Ebay then the cheapest new one will be found in Edinburgh at www.snowlines.co.uk

60 quid the last time I looked.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

My m8 has the greys rod and its pretty cool for lobbing most things except maybe hardcore jerk baits as its a tad too soft to get nice action from them.

Other than that thou its a fine rod and a great allrounder tbh ive used it a few times for throwing big cranks,spring and reg dawgs ,smaller jerkies and its pretty nice to use plus its a very lightweight blank.

Reel wise i cant recommend abu enough too owning a couple of 6501'sc3/c4 and a 5501c3 my m8 allso uses a 5501 on his greys.

I bought both my 6501's and me m8s 5501 from cabelas and shipped them over from the states with no hassles plus its saves ya a few quid thou dont dismiss e-bay as there a few guys on there allways selling nice cheap abus. Theres tons of online info on the abus too with step by step stripdowns etc so buying 2nd hand isnt a major prob as generally a quick strip,relube,reassemble means a pefectly functioning reel for buttons :)

I allso have one of deepinvaders 1/4 - 1oz abu conolon 7ft casting rods and tbh its the best £20 ive spent to date a peach of a rod.

Just get ready for the onslaught on ya bank balance thou as i only started this lure lark 1.5yrs back and now own 3 setups (abu conolon for light/med ,gord burton superhog for jerkies/cranks/dawgs,fox jerkmaster for out and out jerky throwin - all picked up cheap on sale or e-bay etc) and a shed load of insane and bizarre shaped and sized lures.

It aint half addictive thou and the fun factor is great :)

Im investing in a big golf bag soon to house them in :D

wibble?

wow, thats for all of that info! its cleared a few things up for me :D

I'm struggling to to find that particular Greys rod, but I have also found a Shimano Beast master (casting/Jerking) 2.70m 15/40g or the 2.10m 20/70g version, both with trigger grips.

I think either would be suitable, matched with a 5501c3.

Thanks

Edited by Phil Adams

how much is the badger reel? not sure why you'd want to buy a reel you know will die after a couple of seasons when you can spend 25 - 30 quid on a 5501 which will literally last you for ever

blimey, just followed the badger link, i have 4 5501's and none of them have cost me that much! a fool and his money and all that ;)

Jeeps

They dont die, they are considerably more robust than the ABU (one piece frame and all that), have handled Barracuda up to 15lbs, so could easliy handle anything the UK throws at them. The Shimano Cardiff appears top be exaclty the same reel for considerably more money. I for one have always found ABU's overarated they have sat on their Laurels since the 1960's prefer Penns or Shimano's

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Either would do. If you want to throw predominantly big lures than the shorter one would be better. Nobody buys the optimum rod first time around. The best one is always the second rod. You need to buy the first one to figure out what you really need. If only this was a foot longer....if only I could throw bulldawgs with it..if only this broke down into four pieces etc etc etc

If you still want the Greys rod then these people will probably have it.

http://www.bevancarptackle.co.uk/shop/en-gb/dept_143.html

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'