Living the good life !

Norfolkdipper

So who would like to live the 'good life'???

I am at present trying to sort out buying a 50acre farm in South Norfolk. It also comes with a 200yr old, 6 bed farmhouse & fishing rights to an 860ft dyke.

(Will need a summer work-party to get it sorted, will post request nearer the time. Free food & drink on the day, plus a year's free fishing for all who help)

Fishing, farming & to be my own boss, who could want more????

Apparently I qualify for several rural development grants & long term business low interest or 'angel' loans. So if all comes off, I will have a huge party there next summer (2015), as it will take at least a year to get the place up to scratch & running. OK so only 50 acres, but enough for a selection of products &the chance of a farm-shop. It also has a nice east facing slope, I feel a winery coming. Will do a selection of 'top fruit' (trees) & soft fruit as well as chickens, ducks, geese & nice slow grown turkeys for egg & meat sales. Also pigs are planned as good meat sales, along with goats for meat & milk, cream, cheese. I hope to negotiate with other local farmers/producers to sell their produce in the shop, to increase what will be in the shop.
The farm site is at :-
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43847402.html

But the real work will be getting the house liveable again. I found a site showing pics from inside at :-
http://adamx1976.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/explore-1-rock-n-roll-farm-norfolk-august-2013/

As you will see it is a mess, but at 200yrs old & still standing it must be well built. See what you think & please reply.

• Like 2

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Good luck on your new venture and I hope you can make it a success ,Whatever your budget for refurbing the house be prepared to find hidden horrors as most refurbs turn up a few things that are worse than we would have hoped Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I'll help! I'll do it for free fishing and shooting on the land! (bound to be some bunnies!!)

I'll bring my brother and some shooting buddies along and I promise you some serious man power with them!

• Like 1

Thanks Kirisute. Just putting out feelers for now. The dyke :- On my bank is the farm, half the far bank is a SSSI & must be treated carefully. It (SSSI) is accessed via a 'link bridge' ( set between 2 waters, the dyke & the fishing pond), as you look at it the 'pond' is is fairly small, with room for expansion. So mechanical help will also be needed, as I am thinking of widening it by 30ft, if it is to be a 'pond' then so it shall be. MY private section of the dyke will be widened as well, at the moment it is less than a rod length & that's a 10ft rod. I have often got to places wishes there was a shelter of some sort, so I am considering put a large metal shed down there, with kettle, loo, fridge & microwave for anglers to use.

To protect the site, fishing will be £10/ day, but booked in advance to control numbers. I have seen what happens when fisheries simply 'open the gates', it's soon a mess. My guess at the moment there could be up to 80 pegs.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Here's the view from Google earth of the dyke. Taken a while ago, now over grown:- ( at the top is the access to Rockland )broad.)

Thanks Kirisute. Just putting out feelers for now. The dyke :- On my bank is the farm, half the far bank is a SSSI & must be treated carefully. It (SSSI) is accessed via a 'link bridge' ( set between 2 waters, the dyke & the fishing pond), as you look at it the 'pond' is is fairly small, with room for expansion. So mechanical help will also be needed, as I am thinking of widening it by 30ft, if it is to be a 'pond' then so it shall be. MY private section of the dyke will be widened as well, at the moment it is less than a rod length & that's a 10ft rod. I have often got to places wishes there was a shelter of some sort, so I am considering put a large metal shed down there, with kettle, loo, fridge & microwave for anglers to use.

To protect the site, fishing will be £10/ day, but booked in advance to control numbers. I have seen what happens when fisheries simply 'open the gates', it's soon a mess. My guess at the moment there could be up to 80 pegs.

Dont forget to get all your permissions before you start ,a farmer up the road spent a fortune digging a lake ,a fortune removing the soil off site and a fortune bringing it back and filling it all back in when he was refused permission to do it

This is very good for spotting where sssi's are exactly ,the council wont bloody tell you as i have found out myself

http://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx?startTopic=Designations&activelayer=sssiIndex&query=HYPERLINK=1003046'

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I intend to do just that. At least, at 200yrs old, the house is not listed. Once builder starts really want to sort the water out next.