Worms

SPSwallow

What methods do you use to get them. Is just plain old digging the best? Cheers

No, that's too much like hard work. The method I use is to insert a garden fork in the lawn, waggle it back and forth a few times, grab the worms that rise to the surface, move on 12-18 inches and repeat. As long as the ground isn't too hard from lack of rain (????), it works every time.

No, that's too much like hard work. The method I use is to insert a garden fork in the lawn, waggle it back and forth a few times, grab the worms that rise to the surface, move on 12-18 inches and repeat. As long as the ground isn't too hard from lack of rain (????), it works every time.

'Worm charming'. A good way if you don't have the energy/inclination to dig for them. :thumbs:

You could always go 'high tec' and use Newts electric worm catcher.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Worm-ca...hl=worm+machine

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

the best way I find is to wait until we have had some rain, then at about 11pm go out with your head torch on and stalk them on the grass. very quietly go onto your lawn (or a playing field if your near one) as you shine your torch over the grass you will see them on top of the grass, see where they go into the ground and quickly put your thumb on them to stop them going down wormhole. Gently prise them out, but not to hard, and you will end up with some very nice big lobs, better than paying £5 for them. MInd you, your neighbours might think you are a lunatic. :D

who cares what size it is, as long as it's a fish.

Guest tigger

I usually just find a good spot and dig for them. whatever worms I have left I allways release them and just go dig some more when I need em. An easy way to get them is leave some old sack's/boars/plastic bags etc on the ground for a few weeks and when ever you want a few just lift em up and get what you need.

about making a wormery, how do worms breed!? I'm not sure i'v ever noticed a particularly well hung worm, not that i'm looking. what sort of number would you need to start a wormery? Can you mix lobs with reds and deebs?

about making a wormery, how do worms breed!? I'm not sure i'v ever noticed a particularly well hung worm, not that i'm looking. what sort of number would you need to start a wormery? Can you mix lobs with reds and deebs?

Worms are hermaphrodite, so handily are both genders at once - they breed by adopting a "69" position so that male and female bits are juxtapositioned (seriously).

AFAIK, lobs won't breed in a wormery, preferring a damp lawn after dark. Other types of worm will just get on with it in a wormery without any special intervention.