Destination Florida

Snatcher

Just keep away from the pointy bit Stan and it'll be fine, errr how much backing did you have on that reel? :D

As I said before I got to buy a new one now. Seen the price of Abel reels for saltwater, may need another mortagage. 600mtrs of 30lb braid backking do?????

Stan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PIC_0239.jpg

Just knocked these two out on 6/0. Have weighted the "joey" on the shank. Have not put any weight on the white one. Will take them into work tomorrow and weigh them. Just so we know how we stand.

This is a learning curve for me as well Bob :)

Can see one immediate woopsie. :( The eye needs to go about 1" further back so I can add more material in front of it.

Apart from that is this about what you are looking for? Feel free to fire away with ideas.

Do you want some weighted and others not. Do you want them in various colours or just white. Do you want a few on larger hooks? I have some 7/0s :D

How about the time scale,when do you need them completed for.

:lol::lol:

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Wow - they look pretty cool, never done this before so I reckon they look the part. Not sure about the weight, I have tried fly fishing for gars and trigger fish whilst waiting for sharks to come. It was always too windy for the kit I was using, thats why I thought a little lead might help. We're not having to cast great distances, need to see the whites of their eyes, so maybe two light, two medium, and two heavy, then we can have an experiment.

Don't know if you have ever seen tandem rigged hooks? Could be worth trying a two hook rig, the front one taking the bulk of the dressing, with the back one hiding in the dressing to the rear. Just tie it to the front hook eye, then back along the shank to the second hook, maybe using 80-100lb mono. Just a thought if you had the patience.

We've got oodles of time, don't really need them until next august when the whites come back again.

Yes Bob will include a few "doubles.

Thanks Stan will check it out.

Pleased about the time scale though :D Will still complete them asap. When I complete a few more will stick up another photo for your feedback :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Weighed them. The joey that had wire incorporated was 6.5g,the other was 5g. Mind you when they get wet they will take on quite a bit of weight I would have thought.

Are squid patterns used at all on your charter boats? I was at the vice last night and was experimenting with squid patterns. Finished up trying elastic bands for tentacles. I think they look very squidish but then again I will probably be biased :)

Will try and post one up later today to get your opinions :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Weighed them. The joey that had wire incorporated was 6.5g,the other was 5g. Mind you when they get wet they will take on quite a bit of weight I would have thought.

Are squid patterns used at all on your charter boats? I was at the vice last night and was experimenting with squid patterns. Finished up trying elastic bands for tentacles. I think they look very squidish but then again I will probably be biased :)

Will try and post one up later today to get your opinions :)

We use strings of squid (big muppets) as teasers, they get trailed along in the wake making a commotion, and hopefully emulating a small shoal of fish. Not sure how a squid fly would go, interesting thought, don't see why it shouldn't work. How about cutting tentacles of glittery muppets?

I'm busy polishing lures today, so covered in sticky resin. Really getting the hang of it though, and the creative juices are flowing. I'll be making a custom "snatcher" lure in the next few days, I've got a few ideas.... :)

Cannot wait to see it Bob,and a picture of the fish it catches :)

Do you ever fish at anchor or drift for bottom/near bottom feeding fish? If so what species would you encounter. Also where is your boat based Bob.

Was just thinking that the squid I have knocked up on 6/0 o'shaunessies might do the biz with bottom fish jigged up and down near the bottom. If you go out in the winter at all could whiz a bagfull over in a week or so :D:D

Anyway see what you think of the photo which will get posted up shortly ;)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

We fish a reef for corvina and some large bream, using live mackerel or big lead heads. Have a look at my website for the corvina pics, just like a very big bass.

I'm in the uk at the moment, and we won't be fishing again until next spring, when the new boat is launched, just in time for the dentex and other bream.

Boat is based at "Vila Real de St Antonio" as far east as you can get in Portugal without being in Spain. The boat is moored in the guiadiana river marina, with Spain just the other side of the river about 300 metres away, we often pop over there to fuel up.

Great website Bob,thats my appetite whetted !!!! Do you fish anykind of lure at all for your botom fish or just bait?

Tell you what if I manage to get my redundancy in the near future which I will be "angling" for could well be interested in a few trips with you :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair